Author Topic: Debugging In a Class  (Read 4468 times)

slough

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Debugging In a Class
« on: January 04, 2007, 08:31:35 PM »
If I have a global class with member variables, and I try to access them such as

class1_g.variable1=class2_g.variable2;

That compiles fine, it runs fine, everything works great.

However, if I try to debug that code, I get an error when watching or just looking at the auto's. It says **Attempt to extract a component of a value that is not a structure.**

I am using SlickEdit 10 for Unix. I have seen there are patches, but I don't see this fixed in the notes and to get a patch installed around here is a pain in the butt and I am not allowed to do it myself.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

slough

Re: Debugging In a Class
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 05:57:12 PM »
So are there no responses cause no one knows how to fix this, or cause no one has run into this problem? I'm not trying to be a pest, it's just a huge short coming and greatly impedes my work.

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 07:34:34 PM »
SlickEdit does not produce this error message, so it must be an error that came from GDB.  Can you verify that GDB actually handles this correctly with your code (by debugging using the same GDB from outside of SlickEdit).

Also, if you set the macro variable "def_debug_logging" to 1, SlickEdit will log all transactions between itself and GDB to "vs.log" in your configuration directory.  Studying this might help you discover whether SlickEdit is sending something incorrect to GDB, or if GDB is simply not handling the watch expression "class1_g.variable1" correctly.

slough

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 08:33:28 PM »
I will research this further. Thank you.