Author Topic: Text Box Re-select Problem  (Read 3265 times)

kbob007

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Text Box Re-select Problem
« on: February 02, 2012, 02:28:48 pm »
I've been seeing an issue where I will be typing into a text box on a dialog when SE will decide to re-select the text in the text box, so the next character I enter overwrites all of what I just typed with that one character.  For example, when I bring up the search box (Ctrl-f for me), the text I last searched for is still in the "Search for:" text box, highlighted so whenever I start typing it overwrites it all.  That all makes sense.  So I start typing my new search string.  Then somewhere in the middle of typing, my halfway entered string gets re-selected as if I had just opened the search box from scratch, so when I finish my string, it overwrites the first part of it.

It seems like this happens (maybe just more so) whenever the little yellow popup box comes up in the lower right corner.  It's really frustrating when I feel like I have to type really fast to get all my text in the box before SE decides to select all the text again, making me start all over.

I've seen it on Windows XP and 7, both 32-bit, on 3 different machines.  Here's the about from my current machine.
SlickEdit 2011 (v16.0.3.0 32-bit)
Build Date: October 06, 2011
Emulation: Visual C++ 6
OS Version: 6.01.7601  Service Pack 1
Memory: 52% Load, 1008MB/1911MB Physical, 1251MB/3822MB Page File, 203MB/2047MB Virtual
Shell Info: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 1600 x 900

kbob007

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Text Box Re-select Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 04:40:30 pm »
I have found a situation where I can reliably reproduce this problem.  The timing is important and has to happen fairly quickly.  There may be a way to lengthen the hover duration to length the time allowed to perform the steps, but I don't know how to do it.

1) Move mouse to hover over a symbol (one where a context-sensitive popup will appear).
2) Open a find and replace dialog (Ctrl-f in my case) BEFORE the popup happens.
3) Start typing into the pre-selected text box STILL BEFORE the popup happens.
4) Observe that once the hover-popup appears, the text that was just entered in the text box will be re-selected where the next character entered will delete all previously entered characters.

I would greatly appreciate a fix for this, or at least some suggested workarounds so I don't have to be mindful of where I leave my cursor or disable all SE popups.

chrisant

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 131
Re: Text Box Re-select Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 05:34:18 pm »
This came up in the v17 beta forum recently (here, and the next v17 beta will include a fix.  If it's a macro fix perhaps the team would be able to publish a hotfix for v16 as well.