Author Topic: Tail a log file in windows (tail-f) with slickedit  (Read 6890 times)

acklenx

Tail a log file in windows (tail-f) with slickedit
« on: January 08, 2007, 04:14:25 pm »
Is there a good way to tail a log file with slickedit?  That is when a log file that I have open in slickedit is modified I see the prompt:

Another application has modified the following file:
    C:\myapp.log
    Do you with to reload it?
    Yes|Yes To All|No|File Difference
    []Always reload files without prompting

If I were to check the box "Always reload files without prompting", I'm sure this would behave well enough in lieu of a proper tail command... but don't want this behavior for the rest of my files.  That is I only want SE to automatically reload my log files, not all files.  Can this be done?  I don't have many, and they rarely change.

Is there any way to get that "tailing" log file to show up in the "Output" tab/window?

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 288
Re: Tail a log file in windows (tail-f) with slickedit
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 04:53:30 pm »
You could use a 'tail -f' in the 'Build' tab/window after starting a (concurrent) 'Build' shell.
Starting a shell in the 'Build' tab/window: 'Build -> Show Build' or 'concur-command' on Slick cmdline.

HS2

acklenx

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 06:15:47 pm »
Excellent (I'm a master of the obvious!)

Is there a way to get it to show up in other "tabs"/windows?  I have the build tab docked (but not pinned) at the bottom of my screen and it would be nice if I could add a tab or reuse some _other_ tab.  that is the build tab has  a purpose, and i use it.  but the output tab currently does nothing for me, and it even seems appropriately named for tailing the output of my logs. but i can run commands there.

Let me just say, your current solutions is just fine, particularly because if you do find a way for me to use another tab, I'll just want a way to clear the output every now and again, like, maybe, every time I build, go figure.

Thanks again,
Quincy

acklenx

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 05:20:08 pm »
Actually this approach has problems too.  Once I start to tail, I cannot build until I cancel the [tail] operation. That is I tail my log file in the build window, but when I kick off a build, nothing happens.... Unless I CTRL+C to stop the tail, then the build continues just fine.  I can then up arrow and run the last command, but this isn't really the seemless affect I was going for.

(So right now I just using the free version of BareTail)