Author Topic: Roslyn C#/VB compilers for future use?  (Read 2319 times)

Phil Barila

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 61
Roslyn C#/VB compilers for future use?
« on: June 05, 2012, 09:25:45 pm »
As I mentioned some time ago, MSFT is building a new C#/VB compiler called Roslyn, which exposes a rich API for parsing, analyzing, and modifying C# and VB source code.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jasonz/archive/2012/06/05/announcing-microsoft-roslyn-june-2012-ctp.aspx
I can't overstate how much I would like SE to match the effectiveness of Visual Studio in handling .NET languages, while continuing to exceed it in the features which are already superior.
I absolutely don't expect you to spend any time on it right now, but I really hope it's part of SE18, assuming it's ready enough to include it then.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 409
Re: Roslyn C#/VB compilers for future use?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:47:28 am »
Thanks for the info. This is a windows only solution. We need a multi-platform solutions. However, we could potentially use this for some features and only support those features on windows.

Phil Barila

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 03:11:08 pm »
Modulo using Mono to host .NET assemblies on whatever platforms Mono currently supports, the .NET languages are Windows only, anyway.  So you could either make it a Windows only thing, where it then becomes unequivocally the best Windows editor on the planet, or you could make it available for all platforms where Mono is available, assuming Mono is sufficient to host the Roslyn bits.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 409
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 04:11:28 pm »
My gut says mono won't work. In addition, we probably need to interface to .NET assemblies from C++. No way to do that with mono. It's ok if it only works on windows. We are pretty booked up for v18 but hopefully we can do something for v19 or 20.

Phil Barila

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 04:50:11 pm »
I haven't used Mono, but I've been surprised at the sophistication of the projects are using it, and I hope to get an opportunity to try it out myself on a real project this year.  When/if you get around to using the Roslyn assemblies, Mono is worth a look.
As far as using the .NET assemblies from C++, you'll need to use Visual Studio to compile the code that references it with the /clr compiler switch, but it's really not bad at all.  The biggest challenge is to find an editor that understand C++ and .NET.  Up through VS 2010, C++ has been an afterthought, without any .NET Intellisense.  And when you've used SE to do a major .NET project, you'll know why I'm beating this drum so vigorously.
Looking forward to the SE improvements at this that I'm sure are coming, eventually.