Author Topic: How can I open Slickedit 2011 (Macintosh native) from Qt Creator?  (Read 2583 times)

dhjdhj

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
I'd like to use Slickedit to edit files in a Qt Creator project but cannot figure out how to get Qt to open Slickedit and/or to open it with the desired file.

I've tried a few things like invoking the vs underneath the App folder and I've also tried using /usr/bin/open on the .App itself.

In all cases, I get a message from qt that says (for example)

Could not find executable for '/usr/bin/open /Applications/SlickEdit2011.app' (expanded '/usr/bin/open /Applications/SlickEdit2011.app')

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: How can I open Slickedit 2011 (Macintosh native) from Qt Creator?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 03:29:38 pm »
Not sure how you're trying to set this up. With Qt Creator 2.5.0 I was able to set up an external tool with the following settings, and it worked just fine. (Screenshot)

Also, if you have the file open in Creator's editor, the title bar proxy icon can be dragged-dropped onto the SE icon in the dock, and that will open the file in SE.

dhjdhj

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 03:31:40 pm »
Ah --- that %{....} stuff is the key. I couldn't find that information anywhere. Where is that documented?

I'll try again, really appreciate your responding.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 03:35:56 pm »
When you put input focus in the Arguments or Working Directory field, there's a little multicolored "AB" icon that shows up. I clicked it out of pure Pavlovian instinct, and a little tool window pop-up appeared with the escape sequences.

dhjdhj

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 07:49:43 pm »
OK --- so I seem to be having several issues

1) Anytime I try to open a file, SlickEdit gets opened but it always opens the .PRO file of my project, and not the file that I selected (yes, I've checked that my parameters are the same as in your image)

2) Dragging the proxy icon is a good workaround, thank you for that

3) Just for curiosity, I tried opening a file using "System Editor" and it opened up xcode. Any idea how to make Slickedit be the "system editor"?

Thanks,
D

P.S.   That "AB" icon is VERY subtle

dhjdhj

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 07:52:24 pm »
Forgot to mention --- I noticed you said QT Creator 2.5. My version is 2.4 and there are no updates (at least according to the updator).

I noticed if I go to the Qt Site they mention downloading a 2.5 version by itself but recommend it be downloaded with the full package, but the full package, at least according to the documentation, still has Qt Creator IDE version 2.4.1

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 07:57:28 pm »
I haven't got Creator 2.4 to test. No idea if that's the issue or not.

The "System Editor" is what the default "Open With" application is currently set to.
To change it:
1. In Finder, right-click on a file with the extension you want to change the default association for. Select "Get Info" from the context menu.
2. In the Get Info window, in the Open with: section, find SlickEdit 2011 in the combo box and select it. Click the "Change All..." button.

dhjdhj

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 07:59:00 pm »
Duh --- I think I"m getting to old for this stuff!

-----
The "System Editor" is what the default "Open With" application is currently set to.

dhjdhj

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 08:25:39 pm »
Just installed QT Creator 2.5 ---- I'm seeing the same behavior, SlickEdit always opens the .PRO file

dhjdhj

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 08:29:17 pm »
OK --- it seems that the problem is that if SlickEdit is already open, Qt Creator isn't able to get to it.

If SlickEdit is not open, then Qt Creator opens it and loads the correct file.

So one can only edit ONE file at a time (sigh)

I'll try the System Editor approach next