Author Topic: slick-c stack when exiting diff with SlickEdit 2012  (Read 1790 times)

jnairb

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 9
slick-c stack when exiting diff with SlickEdit 2012
« on: June 12, 2012, 03:34:29 pm »
I just got a couple slick-c stacks while exiting a diff. In both cases, I had made a minor edit to one of the diff'ed files (from within the diff window). I haven't been able to recreate it on-demand though. I'm attaching my stack.log. I'm running on Windows 7 x64 with the 64-bit version of SlickEdit 2012.

jnairb

Re: slick-c stack when exiting diff with SlickEdit 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 09:25:29 pm »
Maybe this is the same as I reported on beta 6... it had disappeared for a while (at least I hadn't seen it on beta 7 or 8), but I just got it a 3rd time (on 2012 release version) without doing any edit on either diff'ed file, so it appears to be the same.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 81
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 01:30:35 pm »
I am looking into this (I was on vacation last week).  If you get this again, please let me know if you can remember any rhyme or reason to it.  I wonder if you have to close the dialog a certain way.

I see some safeguards I can put in, but don't see an exact problem.

jnairb

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 02:59:48 pm »
I haven't really noticed any pattern to when I get this. What I have noticed is that when I get the error, if I immediately restart a diff with the same files, I don't get the error when I exit. (First thing I try when I get an error is to try to recreate it doing the exact same thing ... and I've never recreated it that way with this problem.) But then several times, after failing to recreate it with the same files, I've done a diff between different files, and get the same error when exiting.

I just got it again now, but then tried to recreate with diffs of other files and got no error. I don't know what the pattern is. I normally close the diff with the Esc key.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 04:08:18 pm »
You get the error when closing the diff editor dialog, correct?  The stack looks to be in the diff setup dialog.

How are you launching it?  From the regular diff setup dialog?  A version control diff?

jnairb

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 08:58:38 pm »
Yes, I get the error when closing the diff editor dialog. I launch it typically by Ctrl-= (diff). My Dialog Setup/Dialog initialization option is set to 'Current buffer name', so I usually just need to move to path 2 (Alt-2), either type in a path or use down-arrow to re-use the previous diff path 2, and then hit enter and I get the diff editor dialog. When I'm done there, Esc to exit.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 09:02:15 pm »
Ah, that is a significant difference, I will test with that.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 01:35:56 am »
Is the difference editor dialog coming up modal?  I don't understand why the timer for the setup dialog is hitting so long after that dialog should be gone.  It seems like if there is a problem there, it should be just as likely to hit it earlier (while the difference editor is still up).

I can't think of an option that would cause the editor to come up modal after using the setup dialog.  There is a -modal option if you launch diff from the SlickEdit command line, and there are a couple of places internally that we use that, but I can't see options that trigger it from that dialog.

jnairb

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 03:36:02 am »
The difference editor dialog is not modal -- I can switch to the main editor window and edit other files while the dialog is still up. I just noticed though that the 1st file, which is open R/W is now RO within the main editor window (while the diff remains open). Is that normal? I've probably never paid attention to that or tried to edit within the main window while the diff is active.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 11:42:02 am »
Yes, that is normal.  It is so that you don't modify the file outside of the diff and the diff is unable to markup those changes.  I would like to see a design change so that we were not actually using the same buffer, but I think that the read only restriction would probably remain in place.