Author Topic: SlickEdit v17.0.0.8: aliased font makes SE unusable  (Read 1674 times)

Asido

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit v17.0.0.8: aliased font makes SE unusable
« on: June 16, 2012, 03:41:16 am »
I just installed trial version of SlickEdit 2012 (v17.0.0.8 64-bit) and immediately noticed that aliased fonts makes SE extremely slugish. The source scrolling gives 2 redraws per seconds at the best, no smoothness at all. And bad to me my favorite font is Terminus, which is aliased. This also happens if I choose anti-aliased font but deselect `Use anti-aliasing`, although with different font different slowness. Terminus is the worst though :-[
I've been using v16 with Terminus font for a while and never had such issue.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 03:44:28 am by Asido »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 344
Re: SlickEdit v17.0.0.8: aliased font makes SE unusable
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 01:51:25 pm »
What OS are you running? Are you running SlickEdit through VPN or x server? What's your monitors resolution? Any more clues you can think of would be helpful for us to reproduce the problem.

Asido

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: SlickEdit v17.0.0.8: aliased font makes SE unusable
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 09:27:28 am »
What OS are you running? Are you running SlickEdit through VPN or x server? What's your monitors resolution? Any more clues you can think of would be helpful for us to reproduce the problem.
Very strange but it went away. I am running Gentoo x64 as host. I am using AwesomeWM and several days ago installed Gnome to check few things. I tried to run SE there and to my surprise everything was smooth regardless the set font. Afterwards I uninstalled Gnome and all it's configuration files leaving just AwesomeWM and everything kept working. I tried on a new created user, all good too. So cannot say what really caused the problem. Perhaps some package inconsistency since installing Gnome on my minimal OS required a lot of existing package rebuild with added extra flags.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 09:29:18 am by Asido »