Author Topic: Possible bug in SE 2012 when adding wildcard files  (Read 4040 times)

Sascha

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Possible bug in SE 2012 when adding wildcard files
« on: June 19, 2012, 03:42:19 PM »
Hi,

I think I have encountered a bug in SE v17.0.0.8 (64bit).

I created a project based on the empty Java project. Then I added some source files to the project using the add tree, recursive, and add as wildcard options. I used *.java as a filter. The files get added properly. They show up in packages just fine. No problem so far.

Now, when I want to build the project, vsbuild says: All files are up-to-date, even when this is not true. If I add the files without the add as wildcard option instead, the build process functions as expected.

To sum up: files added with the add as wildcard option are not regarded as source files by vsbuild, as a consequence vsbuild never sees changed files that need to be (re)build.

The obvious solution is to add the files without using wildcards, but I'd rather not add every new file manually.

Anyone that has a solution?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:00:02 PM by Sascha »

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: Possible bug in SE 2012 when adding wildcard files
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 04:10:20 PM »
Which platform was this on?  I was not able to reproduce on Windows 7 x64 release.  Also, was there a .vpb file already for this project?  You can delete this file and it should regenerate the dependencies and see if it works after that.

Sascha

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 04:45:11 PM »
Hello Lee,

Thank you for answering.

This was on Windows 7 64bit. Deleting the .vpb did not help, unfortunately. Did you check the add as wildcard option in the Add Tree dialog, as I described (the one with the big blue question mark next to it)?

So, to be clear, you are saying that you added the files to the project this way and when building you get the resulting .class files?

If so, then I'm puzzled.  ???

Edit: I've tried it a second time, by setting up a new project again, with the same results.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:19:10 PM by Sascha »

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 05:36:53 PM »
I created any empty Java project from the Project > New, and added *.java as wildcards using the Add Tree (*.java shows in the Project Properties > Files).  If the .class files already exist, then all files are up-to-date.  Otherwise, vsbuild should build them.  If you can zip up a sample project tree and post it here, I will try to replicate the issue.  I am not seeing any issues on my end.

Sascha

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 05:50:05 PM »
I did as you asked. I'm getting an error on this project when building: No files in project, while there should be exactly one...

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 05:56:25 PM »
Thank you for the sample.  I am able to reproduce the issue and will investigate a solution.

Sascha

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 06:21:23 PM »
And thank you for responding so quickly!

As a sidenote: this really is annoying when working with a version control system where the working directory contents change due to working on different branches, etc. I'll patiently await your response.

Again, thank you.

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 07:32:24 PM »
I believe I have isolated the problem in vsbuild.  I have attached zip files that have a replacement vsbuild.exe for testing the fix (Windows 64 and 32-bit flavors, depending on which SlickEdit you installed).  Please try to see if this resolves the problem.

Sascha

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 08:06:16 PM »
I can confirm this solves the problem. I used the 64bit build.

Thanks again, I love SlickEdit :)

Sascha.