Author Topic: Project Properties Refresh should have option to add new files  (Read 2211 times)

davew

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
It's been annoying me for some time, but why doesn't the "Refresh..." button in Project Properties add new files? I assume it's because it doesn't save the fact that the current file list was derived from an "Add tree", but it seems like there could be a feature such as a list of trees that it could use for the refresh.

evanratt

• Hero Points: 23
Re: Project Properties Refresh should have option to add new files
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 06:42:31 pm »
If you set up your project using wildcards instead of trees, it will add new files when you refresh.

And I just noticed when double-checking this response: the "Add as wildcard" checkbox has a blue question mark icon, but there's no tooltip and clicking it doesn't seem to bring up any help. That doesn't seem right.

davew

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 01:03:18 pm »
Thanks Evan. I had been wondering what that did. I clicked on the help button and got the explanation there, but you're right, the blue question mark doesn't do anything.

The only thing I would change is that there should be an option to only update when you refresh. According to the help, it is updating anytime new files are added to the tree which match the wildcards and it says this can cause performance degradation. I guess so if they are checking all the time.

Thanks!

evanratt

• Hero Points: 23
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 01:42:29 pm »
In my experience, it only has updated the tree when I've refreshed the project. Like you, that's the behavior I wanted, so I never even considered that it might not be working as intended.

Glad it worked out for you!

davew

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 05:02:49 pm »
Well, now that I'm using wildcards, when I choose Refresh, nothing appears to happen. I didn't check to see if it added new files, but it definitely does not remove deleted files, so it appears to be broken.