Author Topic: Highlight Current Line  (Read 5111 times)

cappy2112

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Highlight Current Line
« on: January 15, 2007, 07:42:08 pm »

I want to change the editor colors, so the current line is highlighted.
After editing "Current Line" under the Color Settings dialog to a different color, applying them, and closing the dialog, the line
where the cursor is is still the same color as before I made the change.

Would someone explain if it's actually possible to highlight the line where he cursor is?

thanks

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Highlight Current Line
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 08:10:57 pm »
This one is a bit confusing. You already located the color settings, which define the colors to use. To enable coloring of the current line, you need to select Tools > Options > File Extension Setup, and then select the Advanced tab. In the "Color coding" group at the top, put a check in "Current line".

We have another feature that draws a box around the current line. Many like this because it is less obtrusive and also provides tick marks to indicate indentation or tab stops. You can configure this at Tools > Options > General, on the General tab, in the lower, right-hand corner. This setting applies to all extensions.

--Scott

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 351
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 09:48:06 pm »
Don't be surprised if you don't see the tick marks Scott is talking about.  They are a new feature in SlickEdit 2007 (our next major release).

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 09:56:27 pm »
Help! I've come unstuck between versions. I'm drifting back and forth in a versionless landscape of features.

Of course the proper response from Dennis should have been, "Only those who are wise enough can see the tick marks." A kind of emperor's new tick marks motif.

Dennis, as usual, is quite correct. The tick marks are only available in our next release, not in v11.

<salespitch> Why, the tick marks alone are worth the cost of upgrading! You want tick marks. You NEED tick marks. You will buy the tick marks. </salespitch>

So, the question remains. Was this a mistake on my part, or was it a cunning marketing strategy to call attention to this new feature?

--Scott

cappy2112

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 11:00:38 pm »
This one is a bit confusing. You already located the color settings, which define the colors to use. To enable coloring of the current line, you need to select Tools > Options > File Extension Setup, and then select the Advanced tab. In the "Color coding" group at the top, put a check in "Current line".
--Scott

Thanks-  I've got it working now.
But the location doesn't make sense to me.

If other color changes are invoked under Tools-> Options->Color, and specifically since there is an entry in this dialog to change the color of the "current line", why would the developers hide the check box which actually makes this change take place, in a completely different location?

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 02:36:49 pm »
We definitely want to improve the options screens, and grouping related options together is one way to do this. We'll see what we can do in the future. Thanks for shedding light on this.

--Scott