Author Topic: File's full path in the title bar  (Read 9347 times)

Christoph

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
File's full path in the title bar
« on: August 15, 2012, 02:13:05 PM »
I've searched around but didn't come up with any hits.  So if this is a dupe of some other message, please point me in the right direction and also accept my humble apologies.

I finally upgraded from SE2011 to SE2012.  During the upgrade, it pulled over most of my settings.  One that it didn't pull over (and one that I can't seem to find anywhere; I can't remember for the life of me how I set it this way) is the display of the full path and file name in the title bar of the file I'm currently editing.  In SE2012, it's just showing the file name.  How do I change it so that it shows the full path as well?

thnx,
Christoph

EDIT - Just for further info, I'm running SE2012 native mac
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:43:39 PM by Christoph »

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 36
Re: File's full path in the title bar
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 03:08:56 PM »
I found this thread:  http://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,3234.0.html

Is that what you're looking for?  If so, let me know and I'll look into why it's not migrating.

Christoph

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »
No, I don't think that applies to me.  At least, none of that rings a bell as something that I did after installing SE2011.  Also, I don't have title_change.e anywhere in my SE2011 install, nor could I find any reference to setappcapflag anywhere in the /Applications/SlickEdit2011.app/Contents/macros directory, nor does it (or any title* command) show up as something which can be run from the SE command line or in the list of Slick-C definition list.

To be clearer about what I'm talking about, attached are screen shots of my SE2011 titlebar vs my SE2012 titlebar.  It could be that the post you linked to above *does* have relevance to my issue but I just am ignorant of how (and, again, my memory fails me as to whether or not it's something I did previously).

thnx,
Christoph

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 04:13:17 PM »
The new way the file displayed is the more standard way to display a file in the window title. It allows you to right click to view the path and you can choose any path part to display it finder. Are you aware you can do this?

It isn't windows-like though. Would you like us to add an option for this?

Christoph

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 04:23:51 PM »
The new way the file displayed is the more standard way to display a file in the window title. It allows you to right click to view the path and you can choose any path part to display it finder. Are you aware you can do this?

You mean view the path like the attached image?  If so, I did not know about that and it is kind of useful.

If it would not be too much trouble, I (and I'm sure others) would very much appreciate it.  We have files with the same name but in different paths and it would be really useful to be able to quickly look to see the full path along with the file name (as my previous SE2011 titlebar attachment).  I do that so often, I noticed the change right away.  But I spent a fair while (before submitting my original post) looking around in the options (and on the net) to see if there was already some setting somewhere that didn't migrate and/or that I might have missed.

thnx,
Christoph

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 05:37:55 PM »

Is the right-click thing a Mac-only thing?  Or am I right-clicking the wrong thing?  When I right-click the title-bar on Windows 7, all I get is the system menu (same thing as Alt-space).

davehohl

• Hero Points: 27
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 06:02:51 PM »
I'm really confused. On my system the title bars (both for SE and the edit window) show the full path for the current file, just like Christoph's screenshot for v11 shows. And like Phil, right-clicking just pulls up the system menu. I am running on Win 7.

Christoph

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 06:10:45 PM »
I'm really confused. On my system the title bars (both for SE and the edit window) show the full path for the current file, just like Christoph's screenshot for v11 shows. And like Phil, right-clicking just pulls up the system menu. I am running on Win 7.
Win7 might be the key factor.  I'm running OS X and right clicking the title bar in Finder (analog to Explorer), say, shows the path as illustrated in the 3rd screenshot.  So I guess the SE devs wanted to bring the app in line with others...?  Admirable (and useful) but I'd still like to see the full path and file name. :)

thnx,
Christoph

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 06:13:56 PM »
This is a Mac only Window title feature (it's built into the OS). It was added to SlickEdit 2012 (V17). It is not supported for MDI child window titles.

We will look into adding an option for this. It should be easy.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 02:47:10 PM »
This option has been added. If we do have a 17.0.3 bug-fix release (which we're not planning on right now), it'll be in there. Otherwise this will be in SE 2013.

Christoph

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »
This option has been added. If we do have a 17.0.3 bug-fix release (which we're not planning on right now), it'll be in there.
Darn.  Hopefully there will be something coming down the pipe. :)

Otherwise this will be in SE 2013.
Which will be a paid upgrade?

thnx,
Christoph

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 07:31:48 PM »
Hi:

I have the 17.0.3 release - where to find the option to put the full path in the title bar?

Thanks,
Rob

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 07:42:02 PM »
Found it:

Slickedit 2012 -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Advanced -> Always Show Full Path In Titlebar

Christoph

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 01:20:53 PM »
The only option I see under Appearance -> Advanced is "Mac OS style Browse for Folder dialog".  What version of SE2012 are you running?  I've got v17.0.2.0.  And on what OS?  Windows? I just checked to see if there are any news updates (Help -> Product Updates -> New Updates...) and it didn't find any.

I really, *really* miss this feature. :(

thnx,
Christoph

Christoph

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »
Ok, evidently Help -> Product Updates -> New Updates... didn't find the 17.0.3 update.  Alrighty then.  I manually updated and now see the option.  Woohoo!

thnx,
Christoph