Author Topic: Multiple tag files...  (Read 1206 times)

joecar

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
  • engineer/gearhead
Multiple tag files...
« on: August 22, 2012, 01:51:23 am »
How do I handle different multiple tag files for multiple projects...

for example, I'm developing two different drivers to run on linux kernels 2.6.16 and 2.6.32...

I have separate (mutually exclusive) projects for the 2.6.16 driver and the 2.6.32 driver;

for the 2.6.16 driver I have a tag file for my driver and a tag file for the 2.6.16 kernel include tree;
for the 2.6.32 driver I have a tag file for my driver and a tag file for the 2.6.32 kernel include tree;

the two driver tag files are different (sources are different);
the two kernel include tag files are different (include sources are different);

how do I keep each driver tag file and its respective kernel include tag file within each project separate from the other project...?

( both kernel include tag files keep appearing in both projects... )

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: Multiple tag files...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 02:45:03 pm »
The first step is to remove the existing kernel source tag files from underneath the C/C++ tag files section, where I'm assuming they are now. Go to the Tools > Tag Files dialog, find the entries, and remove them from the list. But do NOT delete the tag file itself when prompted.

The next thing to do is to get an "Auto-Updated Tag File" entry into your workspace that contains your project. You can do this with a quick manual edit to the workspace's .vpw file. You'll need a TagFiles node that looks like this in the XML.
Code: [Select]
<Workspace Version="10.0" VendorName="SlickEdit">
<Projects>
</Projects>
<TagFiles>
    <TagFile File="kernel2-6-16.vtg" AutoUpdateFrom="../../my-kernel-src/2.6.16/kernel2-16.16.vtg"/>
</TagFiles>
</Workspace>
The AutoUpdateFrom attribute can be the absolute or relative path to the existing .vtg tag file.

Once you've made that entry, re-open the workspace, and go back to the Tools > Tag Files dialog. You should now see an "Auto-Update Tag Files" section in the list, showing the .vtg that you specified in the .vpw file.

joecar

• Hero Points: 8
  • engineer/gearhead
Re: Multiple tag files...
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 05:58:01 pm »
ok, thanks, that looks like it worked.   ;D