Author Topic: Slickedit 2012 SSTAB_MULTIROW_BESTFIT missing/deprecated?  (Read 2461 times)

kataric

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Slickedit 2012 SSTAB_MULTIROW_BESTFIT missing/deprecated?
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:12:48 pm »
Howdy,

I can't seem to find a way to setup my buffer tabs to be in the "bestfit" mode (an analogous example would be how chromium/firefox browser does their tabs by default when new pages are open). Changing the form option with the open_form menu doesn't yield the setting for the p_MultiRow variable anymore. Are there plans to bring this back or is there something in place which allows for this sort of scaling already?

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 48
Re: Slickedit 2012 SSTAB_MULTIROW_BESTFIT missing/deprecated?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:41:01 pm »
That was replaced by p_BestFit and is false by default. Do you really want filename captions elided? What if you had "FooThis.cpp" and "FooThat.cpp" but all you could see was "Foo" because they are elided? Why wouldn't you just use the drop-down button on the right? Genuinely curious because the MDI is being redesigned for the next version, and this is one of those things that will be impacted.

++rodney

kataric

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:56:27 pm »
Thank you for the response. Now I have to figure out how to edit the bufftabs.e file to affect this change.

I don't mind the elision that much, certainly much less than I mind having to click through left/right buttons and or use the dropdown.

I guess I like to navigate my tabs not unlike I navigate my web browser or active programs panel.
I certainly don't have to use a dropdown menu or left/right buttons in, say, chromium browser until I have super excessive amount of tabs open.

I have at least two 23 inch monitors side by side dedicated to my slickedit session, slickedit having been dragged across both windows, giving me ample room for multiple buffers to be open and selected between easily.

If there were a way I could open up a "open buffer from file in workspace" and simply type in the name of the file to bring that buffer front and center (or cascade all that matched the filename), that'd be cool too, but I haven't found a means to do that yet.

kataric

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 11:16:08 pm »
@Rodney

Hey Rodney,

I'm having trouble figuring out how to actually put this into play here.
There's no option present for it in the form editor (which is as far as my knowledge goes for the MDI and macros and such).  It appears as if there are only two files that reference this particular variable, builtins.e and tbtabgroup.e.
Unfortunately the bufftabs.e file does not reference it, which is where I would've expected to see it actually.
Might you be able to provide any extra assistance?

Thank you.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 11:20:54 pm »
If there were a way I could open up a "open buffer from file in workspace" and simply type in the name of the file to bring that buffer front and center (or cascade all that matched the filename), that'd be cool too, but I haven't found a means to do that yet.

There is a way to do this. You can type the 'e filename' part of the path from the SlickEdit commandline for any file in your workspace and we will find it. You can also specifically open from the current project with 'ep' or the workspace with 'ew'.

++rodney

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 11:30:17 pm »
I'm having trouble figuring out how to actually put this into play here.

In bufftabs.e, in the ctlsstab1.on_create() event handler, at the end before the call to tab_refresh():

Code: [Select]
ctlsstab1.p_BestFit = true;
Save and load via Macro>Load Module menu. You will have to close and re-open the File Tabs tool window.

Note that you will have to keep up with this modification across versions.

++rodney

kataric

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 11:50:22 pm »
@ Rodney

I got it working. Thank you for your assistance Rodney.