Author Topic: Full export / import problem  (Read 1758 times)

pvonkaenel

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
Full export / import problem
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:54:38 am »
Hi,

I'm running 64-bit Slickedit under 64-bit Win7.  I have done a fresh install with all default settings, and when I do [Tools --> Options --> Export/Imporrt Options] and Select "export All Options...", I'm able to save my settings just fine.  However, when I then try to import the options I get an error on the import of Objective-C settings.  Are the Objective-C settings somehow tied to OSX?

Peter

pvonkaenel

Re: Full export / import problem
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 11:10:18 am »
I just noticed something else strange with the settings export option.  I decided to create my own export group which includes everything except Obective-C, but it was added to the list twice instead of once.  I then re-imported my last batch of settings to remove this, and this seemed to cause my new export group to be listed 6 times.  I finally had the remove the 6 copies of the export group directly from the optionsExportGroups.xml file.

Peter

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 35
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 03:37:43 pm »
Wow, that's a lot of weirdness. 

What error do you get when importing Objective-C? 

Can you reproduce the doubled export group issue?  If so, could you list your steps?

pvonkaenel

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 05:00:25 pm »
When I import settings exported with "Export All Options ..." I get a dialog box at the end which states, "You must exist and restart SlickEdit for Dialog font changes to appear." (this is expected) followed by "There were errors importing your options. Please see the Message List for detailed information."  The message list error description is, "Error importing Objective-C > Formatting: Error finding beautifer profile names Default in x:\Dropbox\SlickeditOptions17.zip\vuser_beautifer.xml".

To reproduce the double export problem, do the following:
  • [Tools --> Options-->Export/Import Options]
  • Press "Setup Export Groups..."
  • Press "New ..."
  • Enter group name "Peter's Group" Without copying from an existing group
  • Check everything
  • Press Save and then Cancel
  • Run back through steps 1 and 2 and in the drop down "Peter's Group" shows up twice.

I have not tried again, but if I restore settings, then it shows up more times.

Peter

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 35
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 07:28:28 pm »
I think I've got both of these fixed for v18.

As for the repeated export groups, the problem is the apostrophe.  We were not correctly handling it when we searched the xml for the group name, which caused us to not find that group in the xml file.  When we didn't find it, we added it again.  That will be correctly handled in v18.  For now, you can work around it by naming your export group something else.

The Objective-C error in the import is a minor thing.  It's not hurting anything for now and will disappear in v18.  You can safely ignore it when you get it.  Or you can continue as you were and create an export group that just excludes Objective-C.

Thanks for reporting these issues and helping me figure them out.  If I hadn't known what you'd named your export group, I'd have gone crazy trying to reproduce the issue!

pvonkaenel

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 08:28:40 pm »
Thanks Sandra.  Since Objective-C is not really a problem, I'll just export/import everything and skip the export group.  Nice to know how to work around the group name though.  I'll remember this in the future.

Peter