Author Topic: Python debugger object members.  (Read 4288 times)

tudale

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Python debugger object members.
« on: November 15, 2012, 04:15:59 PM »
Greetings,

I running SlickEdit 2012 (v17.0.0.8 32-bit) and I am not able to expand a user defined object in the python debugger "Locals" tab to see the members.  I am very new to Python so this may be something trivial on my part.  One potential pitfall I gleaned from the web was that you needed to use "new style" class definition i.e.

class MyClass(object):
    etc....

to have any hope for debuggers and the like to be able to query the contents of the object.  But while perhaps necessary, that does not seem to be sufficient in this case. 

The 'Type' given by the debugger for all my classes is 'void'.  Interestingly, under the 'Value' column, it does say **<mymodule.MyClass object at 0xabcdef00>** so it clearly knows the correct type.  Also the Auto tab seems to be able to pull specific member information when you step onto lines that mention that member.  But the Locals tab is silent.  I would very much like to be able to query the object at any moment.

By the way, I have to say that I am pretty impressed with the Python support in the new SlickEdit.  I have used older versions of SlickEdit for a long time as my editor for C++ work.  At least for someone coming from C++, the Python tool learning curve was basically 0.

Best regards,

Tom

Phil Barila

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 61
Re: Python debugger object members.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 05:54:46 PM »
SE is at 17.0.2.0, so I don't think you should expect any help with an expired beta build.

tudale

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »
Oh!  That was a version I got from the slickedit download site.  I did not realize it was a beta.  Let me upgrade and see what happens...

...ok now running SlickEdit 2012 (v17.0.2.0 32-bit).  Same story.  Is this supposed to work?

tudale

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:30:30 PM »
Is this possibly a Python version issue?  I am running 2.5.  Is this something that was perhaps added later?  As I said, I am just getting my feet wet with this Python business so it could be just that simple.

Phil Barila

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 11:26:21 PM »
This is a user-user forum, primarily, so if you don't get a response in a day or two, I'd suggest you open a support ticket with SE.  Sorry, but I don't have an answer for you.

tudale

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 02:20:49 PM »
Dear Phil,
I was not sure if perhaps there were some SE folks lurking around in the background.  I fill follow your suggestion if I don't hear anything.  Thanks for your help.

All the best,
Tom

Phil Barila

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 04:13:58 PM »
SlickTeam members do hang out here sometimes, but this is explicitly not an official support forum for released versions, just Beta versions.  So you don't have any guarantees here, but opening a support case carries with it whatever guarantee SE provides for them.

tudale

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 07:02:54 PM »
Hi all,

I ended up creating a ticket and got the answer.  Just to follow up, it turns out that my stupidity was that the members in question were private (preceded by an _)  and the display of private members is disabled by default for Python projects.  This can be changed via "Show private variables" in 'Build > Python Options', in the "Debug" tab.

Best regards,

Tom

Phil Barila

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 10:16:01 PM »
++HP for posting the fix here.  Thanks!