Author Topic: SlickEdit 17 failing to reload modified files  (Read 11667 times)

Kohei

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 25
Re: SlickEdit 17 failing to reload modified files
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 04:20:11 PM »
It was off indeed!  I guess the setting for this option got screwed at some point during migration...(since I didn't purposefully turn it off).

Thanks a lot.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 04:21:48 PM »
I have seen this happen, I think there must be a case where it gets saved and shut off, and if a Slick-C stack occurs before it can be turned back on, it can get saved in the configuration this way.

sndom

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 12:35:04 PM »
Just a quick post to say that I am still seeing this issue but haven't been able to identify a cause.

To recap:

• SlickEdit 17.0.3 will sometimes not reload a file that has been changed on disk by Visual Studio.
  • Switching back and forwards between the two will sometimes, but not always result in SE picking up the change.
  • Sometimes a change is picked up, but after an appreciable delay of several seconds.  Question: Does SE block edits to a file until it has determined whether or not it has changed?
  • I have noticed that SE will sometimes highlight it's taskbar icon (on Windows7) to attract attention just after I switch away from it.  This is new behaviour.  Question: Why might this be?  What triggers this?

I am struggling to narrow this down and it is becoming intensely annoying as I am frequently losing changes because of this.

Does SE have any logging or diagnostic modes that could be used to look at what might have gone wrong after the event?

Dom

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 12:49:39 PM »
Just a quick post to say that I am still seeing this issue but haven't been able to identify a cause.

To recap:

• SlickEdit 17.0.3 will sometimes not reload a file that has been changed on disk by Visual Studio.
  • Switching back and forwards between the two will sometimes, but not always result in SE picking up the change.
  • Sometimes a change is picked up, but after an appreciable delay of several seconds.  Question: Does SE block edits to a file until it has determined whether or not it has changed?
  • I have noticed that SE will sometimes highlight it's taskbar icon (on Windows7) to attract attention just after I switch away from it.  This is new behaviour.  Question: Why might this be?  What triggers this?

I am struggling to narrow this down and it is becoming intensely annoying as I am frequently losing changes because of this.

Does SE have any logging or diagnostic modes that could be used to look at what might have gone wrong after the event?

Dom

It does not block edits, but will warn you before saving if a newer version is on disk. 

There is a thread that checks the files on disk when SlickEdit is activated.  After the specified timeout is reached (if the thread is not done), we grab the items that we know finished.  Do you have a large number of files (probably several hundred) open?  I believe I asked this before, but are all the files local?

I am not sure what is causing the highlighting/activating.  If there is not a message box, it could be that something (like checking file statuses when we lose focus) changed the focus inside SlickEdit and Windows did the highlight.  We aren't highlighting the status bar intentionally.

Have you tried changing the time out amount for auto reload (Tools>Options>File options>Load>Auto reload)?  The default is 5000 msec (5 seconds), you could try changing it to 10000 (10 seconds) and seeing if this changes any behavior.

I don't think there is any logging built in to this feature, but if none of these suggestions help I will put some in for you.

sndom

• Community Member
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 05:18:44 PM »
It does not block edits, but will warn you before saving if a newer version is on disk. 

It certainly isn't always warning.

There is a thread that checks the files on disk when SlickEdit is activated.  After the specified timeout is reached (if the thread is not done), we grab the items that we know finished.  Do you have a large number of files (probably several hundred) open?  I believe I asked this before, but are all the files local?

The files are local on a fast raided 15K SCSI disk.
I have about 100 open at the moment, and lost a change a few minutes ago.

Have you tried changing the time out amount for auto reload (Tools>Options>File options>Load>Auto reload)?  The default is 5000 msec (5 seconds), you could try changing it to 10000 (10 seconds) and seeing if this changes any behavior.

I have this set to 10000, I'll try increasing this further.

I don't think there is any logging built in to this feature, but if none of these suggestions help I will put some in for you.
Thanks

Dom

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 06:20:59 PM »
What is the other app that wrote the file, Visual Studio?  I haven't seen this problem with anybody else, so I'm a little confused what is different in your case.

Are any of the of the files incredibly large?

sndom

• Community Member
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 11:26:19 AM »
The files are written by Visual Studio 2008, either explicitly saved when I hit "save all" or implicitly when I start a build.  In the latter case the machine may et quite busy with compilation activity, but the fact that it also happens after a plain save suggests that it isn't simply the load on the machine.

There are a mix of file sizes, from a few tens of lines to a few thousand in some cases.  The problem seems to affect all sizes.

Dom

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 01:47:01 PM »
Dom:

Can you please PM me an email address?

Thanks,

Dan