Author Topic: "Number of tagging threads to start" tagging option  (Read 3471 times)

skywise

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 10
"Number of tagging threads to start" tagging option
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:53:33 PM »
SE 17.0.3 win7 x64 -
I'm looking at the Editing | Context Tagging(r) | Number of tagging threads to start option and this is currently set to 1 and I'm on a Quad core. the help here says "There is no performance benefit to setting this higher than the number of processors on your machine"

Is it really Processors or should that be Cores?

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
Re: "Number of tagging threads to start" tagging option
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 08:36:11 AM »
It means core.

The two words used to mean the same thing.  Where I am at least, it seems like software people tend to say "processor" and "chip", and hardware people tend to say "core" and "processor".

skywise

• Hero Points: 10
Re: "Number of tagging threads to start" tagging option
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:57:20 PM »
I agree but there *is* a difference.  I could envision a scenario where there's some performance issue with trying to retrieve disk I/O to a processor even with multiple cores...

Of course the newer options allow you to make specific threads for reading and writing to the tag database.

Question about those - The description says that these are dedicated threads.  Do these count towards the number of threads specified in the first option or in addition to them?  (I'm assuming in addition - IE 4 threads specified in the number of tagging threads + dedicated read + dedicated write = 6 threads total? But it might also mean that 4 threads are in the "pool" and these 2 options will dedicate 2 of those threads to read/write ops...)
If I've got a quad core, what's the optimum number of threads to tag then?  2?  Leave at 1? (presuming 1 to tag plus 2 to read/write plus 1 to operate SE... ?)