Author Topic: SlickEdit with j-link and Yagarto/ IAR/ CrossStudio  (Read 5165 times)

bremenpl

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
  • Electrical Engineer
SlickEdit with j-link and Yagarto/ IAR/ CrossStudio
« on: March 25, 2013, 06:58:01 pm »
Hello there,
Im new to SlickEdit. I have a question to people familiar with this enviroment and with embedded programming for ARM mcus.
Basically, crossworks or IAR editor are very weak and i like slickedit a lot more.
There is a possibility to link j-link and yagarto compiller to eclipse and debug code for at91 there. I would like to do the same in SlickEdit.

Is there anyone that have succed with working on at91 mcus with debbuging in slickedit?
I would aprichiate any help.

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 289
Re: SlickEdit with j-link and Yagarto/ IAR/ CrossStudio
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 07:55:54 pm »
Seamless integration of various crosscompilers or toolchains is one of SE's strong points.
So customizing an existing Project type (see Project>New: e.g. GNU C/C++) with your actual toolchain is the way to go.
Also it seems that j-link comes with a gdbserver which in turn should be usable with SE gdb interface.
Unfortunately I can't help with details here but I'm quite optimistic you get it done.
Good luck, HS2

PS: Besides checking the SE Help system for further details it's always a good idea searching the forums.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 10:42:49 pm by hs2 »

bremenpl

• Community Member
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:57:38 pm »
Will do. Thank you very much for the answer.

bremenpl

• Community Member
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 08:31:00 pm »
Hi again,
I find this pretty difficult to set up... Ive installed the yagarto tools and i have the gdb properly installed because i can run it from command line by typing
Code: [Select]
arm-none-eabi-gdbThe problem is i dont reallt know how to point this gdb in the slickedit, i dont know where to lock for the executable...

EDIT:
I found the executable, but now im pretty confused about connecting to jlink. In this tutorial here http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=3884.0 i found that i shuld connect to target via tcp/ip, well i cant do that i can only choose to start gdb server using usb. So in slickedit i choose:

debug -> attach debbuger -> gdb -> attach to process (GDB) and i choose my jlink server. After i accept it goes into the debug perspective but nothing works...

Ill also mention that the project im trying to compile is an example project from iar embedded workbench. I added the files to the project.

I actually cant build the project because it cannot find any include files, while i added them all...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:30:42 pm by bremenpl »

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 289
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 12:21:07 pm »
The tutorial is about TCP/IP connecting a gdbserver as the most common use case. If your toolchain differs e.g. using a proprietary USB driver interface you've to figure out yourself how to launch your gdb to connect to the target successfully. Maybe you can reverse-engineer the settings from ecplise.
The compile issue is a different one. Seems like the compiler INCLUDE path is not set correctly. Make sure that you added all INCLUDE paths here: 'Project>Project Properties: Directories tab' (see Help: Configuring Project Directories).
Of course your build system configuration depends on the build method you're using (e.g. generated or user provided makefile, etc.).
Good luck, HS2

bremenpl

• Community Member
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 06:34:38 pm »
Thank you for answers hs2. This is extrimelly complicated for me so far, i gues i would get the point after setting it once at least. I will continue to try though, but for now im pretty lost.