Author Topic: Cursor moving is very slow on SlickEdit 2012 for Mac  (Read 3750 times)

kartwall

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Cursor moving is very slow on SlickEdit 2012 for Mac
« on: April 03, 2013, 01:26:35 am »
I have a 13-inch retina macbook pro installed Mountain Lion. I installed slickedit 2012 recently and found the cursor moving is very slow... I mean, compared with the cursor moving in terminal or vi.
So is this a known performance issue or I need to do some configs? By the way, currently I'm using SlickEdit to do Python programmings.

turingcat

• Community Member
Re: Cursor moving is very slow on SlickEdit 2012 for Mac
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 08:30:31 am »
I got the same problems. and don't know how to config.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 06:42:54 pm »
It is a known performance issue on the Mac when moving left or right within a line. It can be alleviated a bit by always having a maximized MDI editor window (instead of cascaded or tiled windows). You can also get around this by using Option+Left/Right to skip by words, rather than by single characters.
We're redoing the MDI architecture for SE2013, and in our initial testing the left/right cursor movement speed is improved. (We were getting to many repaint messages per cursor movement, hence the slowdown)

kartwall

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 07:56:16 am »
Great. Thank you for the reply.

jbhurst

• Hero Points: 33
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 03:47:51 am »
Does this problem also explain slow vertical scrolling on OSX using cursor-up & cursor-down?

I did a test using a 328-line SQL file I'm working in, which is about 1/3 comments, about 2/3 SQL INSERT and UPDATE statements.

I timed using cursor-down to go from the top of the file to the bottom:

Sublime Text: 12 seconds
SlickEdit (Plain Text mode): 21 seconds
SlickEdit (PL/SQL mode): 25 seconds

I sized each editor to half of my 2560x1440 display. I used the same font and font-size for both.

Sublime Text scrolls the text smoothly. The cursor appears to move at a speed corresponding to my keyboard repeat rate. SlickEdit seems sluggish.

It seems that the color-highlighting is adding something to SlickEdit's paint cost too. (Sublime of course is also doing color highlighting, but its speed seems unaffected by this.)

When I size SlickEdit's window quite small, it can scroll from top to bottom in 12 seconds too. Sublime Text is unaffected by the window size (12 seconds regardless).

Regards

John Hurst
Wellington, New Zealand

kartwall

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 02:20:37 am »
Yes, vertical scrolling is slow as well. Hope the patch/new version can be downloaded soon.

Does this problem also explain slow vertical scrolling on OSX using cursor-up & cursor-down?

I did a test using a 328-line SQL file I'm working in, which is about 1/3 comments, about 2/3 SQL INSERT and UPDATE statements.

I timed using cursor-down to go from the top of the file to the bottom:

Sublime Text: 12 seconds
SlickEdit (Plain Text mode): 21 seconds
SlickEdit (PL/SQL mode): 25 seconds

I sized each editor to half of my 2560x1440 display. I used the same font and font-size for both.

Sublime Text scrolls the text smoothly. The cursor appears to move at a speed corresponding to my keyboard repeat rate. SlickEdit seems sluggish.

It seems that the color-highlighting is adding something to SlickEdit's paint cost too. (Sublime of course is also doing color highlighting, but its speed seems unaffected by this.)

When I size SlickEdit's window quite small, it can scroll from top to bottom in 12 seconds too. Sublime Text is unaffected by the window size (12 seconds regardless).

Regards

John Hurst
Wellington, New Zealand

kartwall

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 08:55:55 am »
Hi Matthew,

Any updates on this issue? I can't bear with the slow slickedit on my MAC anymore...
Is it possible to release a temp patch/HACK for us now?

It is a known performance issue on the Mac when moving left or right within a line. It can be alleviated a bit by always having a maximized MDI editor window (instead of cascaded or tiled windows). You can also get around this by using Option+Left/Right to skip by words, rather than by single characters.
We're redoing the MDI architecture for SE2013, and in our initial testing the left/right cursor movement speed is improved. (We were getting to many repaint messages per cursor movement, hence the slowdown)

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 03:55:24 pm »
Have you had a chance to use the recent beta of SE 2013? We've had a "limited audience" beta since the beginning of May, but the beta is available for download via your SlickEdit.com customer account if you have a current support subscription. Later today or tomorrow we will be opening up the beta to all customers, regardless of support subscription status. Look for that e-mail fairly soon.

kartwall

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 01:28:54 am »
Big Thanks.
Have you had a chance to use the recent beta of SE 2013? We've had a "limited audience" beta since the beginning of May, but the beta is available for download via your SlickEdit.com customer account if you have a current support subscription. Later today or tomorrow we will be opening up the beta to all customers, regardless of support subscription status. Look for that e-mail fairly soon.

kartwall

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 02:19:18 am »
I downloaded slickedit 2013 for mac and requested a trail license. I have to say, I feel the cursor moving is still not perfect. To be honest, I think it's the same with se2012. Does other guys have the same feeling?

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 364
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 12:48:24 pm »
As a workaround until 18.0.1 comes out, try turning off the horizontal scroll bar.
    Tools > Options > Appearance > General > Horizontal Scroll Bar = Off

Also, if your source files are unicode, you will get better performance if you select a Fixed Font and turn on the option to "Use fixed spacing for bold and italic fixed Unicode fonts"
    Tools > Options > Appearance > Fonts

kartwall

• Community Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 01:20:32 pm »
Thanks, it works! Seems it doesn't matter whether horizontal scroll bar exists so I can live with it. :)

As a workaround until 18.0.1 comes out, try turning off the horizontal scroll bar.
    Tools > Options > Appearance > General > Horizontal Scroll Bar = Off

Also, if your source files are unicode, you will get better performance if you select a Fixed Font and turn on the option to "Use fixed spacing for bold and italic fixed Unicode fonts"
    Tools > Options > Appearance > Fonts