Author Topic: What is the correct way to refresh files and retag them?  (Read 4951 times)

greggman

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 13
What is the correct way to refresh files and retag them?
« on: April 17, 2013, 11:01:47 pm »
I have a project with a lot of files. I have the files added using recursive wild cards *.cpp, etc..

Question #1: What's the proper way to refresh the files supplied in the Open dialog?

I tried Project->Project Properties, Files tab, select all, Refresh

This seems to do absolutely nothing.

Quiting Slickedit and re-starting it finally worked. I'd like to know what the correct way to do it is without having to restart slickedit

Question #2: How do I retag correctly?

After doing the refresh from Question #1 I picked Project->Retag Workspace and clicked okay in the Rebuild Tag File dialog. Slickedit went off and tagged 80k files. I then went to a class, pressed Ctrl-H (push-tag), the select symbol dialog appeared. I picked the one I was interested in and was told "Path not found" WTF?! :-(

I just refreshed and retagged, there should be no stale references.

So again, how do I do this "correctly" in slickedit so I get current and correct files and tags?

Gilvin

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: What is the correct way to refresh files and retag them?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 07:34:08 am »
I use workspace-retag command, but not sure if it's the correct one.

kchalmer

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 03:16:13 pm »
For question #1: Project menu -> Refresh works for me.  Hopefully it'll help with #2 as well?  If not, maybe Tools -> Tag Files, select your workspace tag file, then "Rebuild Tag File..." will be a bit more comprehensive?

-Ken

chrisant

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 131
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 04:51:36 pm »
Another possibility -- Could the stale paths be coming from a different tag file, i.e. not the workspace tag file?

Anyway, here's how to do a full clean rebuild of the tag file:

1. exit SE
2. delete vtg file
3. start SE
4. rebuild tag file

I have to do that periodically.  There seems to be some kind of long standing issue where tag files either accumulate stale references or get corrupted, I don't know what's happening.  I assume the reason it still exists is because it's difficult (as in unknown how) to reproduce on demand and therefore difficult to find a root cause and fix.  If there were a public tool to analyze the health of a vtg file (and report details and statistics, beyond just a Boolean "ok/bad") it would be much easier to help the SE team track these things down (and to accurately characterize them).

It doesn't seem to be a significant pain point for me, though, so as far as I can tell it seems reasonable for it to be middle-to-low in the priority queue.