Author Topic: Slickedit 17 only works as root under Fedora 18.  (Read 2310 times)

tgidave

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Slickedit 17 only works as root under Fedora 18.
« on: April 20, 2013, 08:29:14 pm »
Hi All,

Was wondering if others had seen this and if there was a fix for it.  I've been running slicked under linux for a while now and have not had this problem.  I recently installed both Fedora 18 and Slickedit 17 so I'm not sure when this problem started.  When I try to bring up slicked as a normal user I get this message:

D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No such file or directory
See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.

Checking the man page does not solve the problem but using "sudo vs" does.  Since editing under root privileges is probably not a good thing, is there another way to solve the problem?

Edit: I decided to install slickedit 16 just to see what happens, and it seems to work just fine.  The problem appears to be in slickedit 17 only.

Regards,
Dave
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:56:24 pm by tgidave »

ehab

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 15
  • coding with SE is like playing music
Re: Slickedit 17 only works as root under Fedora 18.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 09:05:18 am »
does SE ask for license?
maybe first time you should start SE with sudo and install the license.
then exit and run SE with no sudo. I recall i had SE installed in home dir and it worked fine.

tgidave

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 09:30:44 pm »
Thanks for the response, ehab.

When I install slickedit I do the install under root.  I am installing on a new desktop machine that I will use for code development.  I normally run in user mode but sometimes need to run as root.  I would like slickedit available to both users so I install to /opt/slickedit.  During the initial install under root I apply my license and everything goes fine.  It's when I log back in as my normal user that the problem occurs. 

In today's world of multi terabyte hard drives I guess I could install separate copies of slickedit in the home directories of both the normal and root user.  I'll give it a try...

Edit:  Well that didn't work.  Installing in user mode I get the same error, but now during the install just as I was getting ready to apply my license...

Dave
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:43:33 pm by tgidave »

ehab

• Hero Points: 15
  • coding with SE is like playing music
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 07:06:54 am »
Dave,
i just checked my install. i have all SE under my home dir. I also have in

Code: [Select]
/etc/sudoers
ehab ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL

hope it helps. Maybe let it install this way and then copy the files else where and chown the rights.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 25
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:18:23 pm »
In a terminal, run:

dbus-uuidgen > /var/lib/dbus/machine-id

You should then be able to run SlickEdit from your user account.