Author Topic: tab groups not remembered when SE closes/reopens  (Read 7887 times)

davehohl

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 27
tab groups not remembered when SE closes/reopens
« on: April 25, 2013, 11:41:58 PM »
I did a split to set up 2 vertical tab groups. (see first screenshot). I closed and reopened SE. The tabs for both groups still appear, but the window for the second group seems to have disappeared (see second screenshot). I have to do right-click/New Vertical Tab Group on the second tab to get it back the way it was.

SlickEdit 2013 (v18.0.0.5 32-bit)

Serial number: FE25543_BETA
License type: Beta License
License expiration: 2013-07-24 12:01:00
License file: C:\ProgramData\slickedit\18\slickedit.lic

Build Date: April 23, 2013
Emulation: CUA

OS Version: 6.01.7601  Service Pack 1
Memory: 73% Load, 2452MB/3318MB Physical, 3151MB/6635MB Page File, 231MB/2047MB Virtual
Shell Info: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 1920 x 1200

Project Type: Cpp
Language: .h (C/C++)

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.0 Beta1\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,221927MB free)
Configuration Directory: U:\MyDocs\My SlickEdit Config\18.0.0\ (remote,NTFS,31651MB free)
Spill File: C:\Users\david.hohl\AppData\Local\Temp\$slk.5 (non-removable drive,NTFS,221927MB free)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: tab groups not remembered when SE closes/reopens
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 12:55:40 PM »
Hmm..I wasn't able to reproduce this. Can you list steps to reproduce this? Thanks

davehohl

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 04:21:49 PM »
1) Open a file.
2) Click Tools/Split Vertically -- second tab group opens, with each group's window being half the former window size
3) Close SE.
4) Open SE -- tab for second group shows, but the second group's window is not visible. It seems to be hidden under the first tab group's window.

davehohl

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 04:43:51 PM »
Upon further examination I think I have been using the wrong terminology. The issue is not with tab groups, but rather splitting windows. If I split a window vertically, close SE and reopen, the window split does not get remembered.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 54
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 05:32:29 PM »
It looks like one of 2 things:
1. Autorestore is failing, in which case we stuff all editor windows into one tabgroup, or
2. Some other code path is causing your workspace layout not to be restored.

I need 2 things:
1. Your Autorestore settings (Tools>Options>Application Options>Auto Restore). A screen shot is fine.
2. Your config-dir/vrestore.slk - note that this has file names and paths in it. If that is senstive, then mock up a reproducible case and PM me the file.

++rodney

davehohl

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 05:37:31 PM »
OK, I have attached the info you requested.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 05:57:58 PM »
Something is not right here between your 2 screen shots:
In the first split layout, the editor windows showing are: conditionals.h, msp430f6638.h
In the second non-split layout, we have: beeper.cpp, conditionals.h

Does msp430f6638.h not exist between you exiting and restoring SlickEdit?
There is also no MDIAREA: section in your vrestore.slk file. I'm trying to think under what circumstances that would not happen (no editor windows open, certain default options set programatically). Just thinking out loud here.

Please try:
Exiting SE.
Move your config-dir/vrestore.slk out of the way temporarily.
Restart SE.
Try to reproduce.

If that does not clear it up, then try starting SE with a clean config, then attempt to reproduce. I will continue to work the problem from my end.

Thanks.

davehohl

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 06:15:09 PM »
I renamed my vrestore.slk file and tried again.

If I close SE and then just reopen it, it opens with no workspace. If I specify the workspace when opening, then the two windows are remembered properly, which means the original problem got fixed. But now how do I get back the desired behavior where SE automatically opens the workspace when I open? Auto-restore workspace is enabled in the Options menu, but it does not seem to be working anymore.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
Try running with a clean config. If you cannot reproduce the problem with a clean config, then I will need to see your config-dir/vusrdefs.e

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 08:26:47 PM »
Oh and I have to ask: Have you done any serious customizations like replacing/editing our shipped macros that might have affected autorestore behavior? A clean config will help answer this.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 08:33:16 PM »
Another idea: Maybe there is something about this particular workspace that is tripping up autorestoring the workspace files (.vpwhist), so it falls back to global autorestore (vrestore.slk).

Can you reproduce the problem with a different workspace, preferably a different type of project?

davehohl

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 09:05:59 PM »
This is getting very strange.

First of all, I uninstalled the beta version and reinstalled. I had the same problems as before.

Then I tried using a clean config. Everything worked fine.

Then I renamed the vrestore.slk file in the config directory, and unlike the last time I tried it, this time it is properly restoring the workspace (the same one I originally had problems with). However, it is not remembering new files that I add to a tab group now. Whenever I open SE it reverts to the same two files (in two tab groups) that I created the first time I opened SE after renaming vrestore.slk.

I suspect this may be related to the problem that I logged in a separate thread regarding the "unable to save" messages that I randomly get. It may be that things are not getting properly saved to the config directory. I did not get that error message when I ran the clean config.

In answer to your question, I do not have any customizations. I have attached vuserdefs.e.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 09:11:29 PM by davehohl »

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 09:15:47 PM »
Is U:\MyDocs\ on a remote/network share?

davehohl

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 09:28:42 PM »
U: drive is on a server on our local network.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 09:34:54 PM »
It may be that the connection is unreliable, or that it drops off and comes back on demand and we cannot deal with that. I don't know. I would suggest running with a local config, since it should be faster and more reliable.

It may be that you have another instance of vs.exe holding file(s) open and that is the problem. Check Task Manager for extra vs processes.

That's all I have at this point.