Author Topic: Window splitting and navigation issues with Beta 2  (Read 9366 times)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: Window splitting and navigation issues with Beta 2
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 03:05:31 PM »
I understand from sndom's pictures the issue he is talking about which is due to the new nested areas.

Could you show with more pictures how delete-tile can do the wrong thing when you only have three vertical tiles? I may not be seeing what the issue is for that case. Thanks

jc44

• Hero Points: 22
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
Having now played with this I can see that is going to be one of those behaviour changes that drives people up the wall  - essentially it randomises the behaviour when trying to delete a split.

Consider the 3 tile case

+---+---+---+
|   |   |   |
|   |   |   |
|   |   |   |
+---+---+---+

Now If I am in the left hand pane and go f4,right what happens? Previously this was well defined - you get a big window on the left and a small on the right. Now you might get that or you might get a big on the right and a small on the left, depending on whether you created the windows with f3,left or f3,right; and if you are just looking at the screen there is no way to tell.

This will be particularly annoying if you are hoping to maintain the split boundaries when you split again.

Hope that clarifies things

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »
While I understand your explanation of the problem. The new code is designed exactly how you want it. It's not random. Maybe there is a bug. I can't reproduce this bug. It doesn't matter what order you create these tiles because they are all in the same direction (all vertical in this case and so there's no nesting required).

In earlier betas, there were complaints with delete-tile so I fixed it.

jc44

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 04:20:16 PM »
Hmmm... that's odd - I was sure I'd seen both behaviours but I can't reproduce it immediately

jc44

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 04:43:20 PM »
You appear to be correct - the behaviour is deterministic. So (from the point of view of previous brief & SE behaviour) if I am in the rightmost pane then I always get the 'wrong' behaviour and if I am in either of the other two panes I get the 'correct' behaviour.

Sorry - I thought I'd checked what I was saying - but clearly not.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »
There is definitely no reason while in the simple case (all vertical or all horizontal), that it can't work exactly the same as it did. Glad to hears it's working.

jc44

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 11:22:37 AM »
I only said it was deterministic - not that it worked as before :-)

Starting from a single window, single pane, brief emulation. f3, <down>, f3, <down>; gives me 3 panes.  f4 <up> merges the top two panes in B4, previously it would merge the bottom two panes.  If the latter behaviour is available then I (and I suspect the rest of the brief emulation crowd) would prefer it.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 01:48:36 PM »
Tried it and you're right, it's not what's expected. I'll try to get this fixed for the next beta. It needs to join the window space with the current window.

jc44

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 02:04:51 PM »
Excellent - many thanks.