Author Topic: Trying out the "Mac" version, issues with vs or me?  (Read 1088 times)

NightStorm

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Trying out the "Mac" version, issues with vs or me?
« on: May 03, 2013, 07:09:23 pm »
Last night I downloaded the trial of the Mac OS X version to try it out on a new Macbook Pro notebook (OSX 10.8.3).  I am new to the Mac environment so much of this may be just operator training, nonetheless I am used to the linux version of vs and so far my response to this Mac trial is that it seems "flaky".  Some things are just different ("Think different"?) but others are (IMO) just wrong.  Just now I was playing around with the "file tabs" toolbar (as example) and observe:
  • Once undocked it is very difficult to grab the file tab tool bar so as to drag it to a new position.  It appears that the grab area is a tiny sliver just to the right of the vertical grab indicator.  Perhaps this is a retina display issue?  Most of my attempts result in a lot of rapid flashing of the tool window alternating between some large size and its existing size (I think it believes I'm trying to resize it rather than move it).
  • Frequently I observe where one of the pop-up sub windows (for example if you follow "Toolbars >" to its sub window) flash up briefly and then disappear giving no opportunity to select any of the sub entries.  Meanwhile another (such as the one below it: "Tool windows ->") properly stays up until dismissed.
  • File tabs are all centered within their area rather than to the left as on linux (this is the "different" thing).
  • Frequently a two finger click on an area acts like it does not select the area first before deciding on what menu to present.  So for example if I'm editing in the window and then two-finger click on a tool bar I'll get the edit window RMB menu rather than the expected tool bar RMB menu.

As I said, I'm brand-new to the Mac environment so much of this could be me but I don't think all of it is.  ;)

- Bruce

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: Trying out the "Mac" version, issues with vs or me?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 07:52:57 pm »
When dragging the file tabs tool window, there is not a lot of real estate to grab onto. Nudge the mouse pointer a couple pixels until the pointer looks like a fat white plus sign (and not the black left/right or diagonal resize arrows), then you'll get dragging and not sizing.
I've not seen the submenus react like you describe. But I'm using a magic mouse primarily, and not a trackpad.
The centered file tabs are in keeping with the Mac's style for tab bar controls. This will be different in SlickEdit 2013 for file windows, but docked tool window groups will continue to use centered tabs.
My guess is that the 2-finger click gesture is simply directing a context menu event to the active window (which would be the editor window), and not the window under the mouse pointer. What happens if you do a Ctrl+SingleClick (similar to how you'd do a right click with a standard Mac one-button mouse)?

NightStorm

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: Trying out the "Mac" version, issues with vs or me?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 09:19:06 pm »
Thanks Matthew for the info.
You are right about the Ctrl+SingleClick .. so far every time I try it I get the expected menu.