Author Topic: Version-control (perforce) - diffing many files.  (Read 904 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 112
  • Text
Version-control (perforce) - diffing many files.
« on: May 04, 2013, 07:22:55 pm »
Compare project to perforce:
I checked a folder with about 15 files in it and clicked "diff".
It opened DiffZilla showing the first file differences.

#1: What if I accidentally asked to compare 1,000 files? How can I abort the whole thing? There doesn't seem to be a way to stop this. Slick should not just bring up a long string of individual file diffs.

#2: Limiting diffing to specific sets of files:
Have you ever tried "WINDIFF.exe" from the Windows SDK?
You can do "windiff FolderA FolderB" and Windiff compares the two directory trees as you might expect it to.
DiffZilla does a similar thing.

Windiff also has a great option "-I listFile".
Where "listFile" is a simple text file of pairs of path names to files to be compared.
Windiff then uses this list instead of doing a recursive directory scan ... basically, it lets me tell it the specific set of files to compare instead of comparing everything in a directory tree.
So, I have a tool which generates such a list based on Perforce change lists - so I can quickly see a diff of just the files affected by the change list.

If DiffZilla supported "-I", then when you ask to compare 50 files it could open the "multi-file  diff output" window with the 50 file set loaded, instead of just reopening the DiffZilla diff window 50 times.

Little known feature "windiff -L" makes windiff do some Perforce operations.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 81
Re: Version-control (perforce) - diffing many files.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 01:52:45 pm »
We have had this interface for other systems (CVS, SVN, git and Mercurial) for a while, and accidentally launching a big diff is not a complaint I remember, but will see if I can figure out a way to put a cancel in.