Author Topic: Search: Output to editor window  (Read 2806 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 192
  • Text
Search: Output to editor window
« on: May 04, 2013, 07:28:34 pm »
Why is the "Editor" window created when using this option so weird?
Can't it be just a normal editor window (Since, after all the option is "output to editor window").

#1: Doing "Save" or "Save As"  saves the contents of the buffer, but the buffer doesn't get linked to that file. Given the window "Search<0>" when I save it to "foo.txt", the file is created but the buffer stays "Search<0>"

#2: In this window I cannot search and list all occurrences, or highlight search results.

#3: It lets me edit the text in this window, but will not prompt to save on exit.

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: Search: Output to editor window
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 06:20:37 pm »
This could be better.  The buffer is shared with the Search Results tool window, so some special care will be needed on save/save-as to do separate it into a new edit buffer.  But I think it is a good idea,  I will see if I can have something for next beta release.  This should take care of #1 and #3. 

As for #2, List all occurrences is prohibited in a Search Results buffer to prevent feedback loops.  Can't recall reason for disabling highlighting in the results, but I will investigate.  But if the proposed fix gets in, once you save/save-as it will be treated as a normal file buffer, and won't have those restrictions.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 192
  • Text
Re: Search: Output to editor window
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:20:30 pm »
That would be a good improvement - thanks.

What I really use this for most often though is for digging thru log files.
Slick really isn't great for this, but its better than finding yet another tool for each different log I have to dig thru.

Slick doesn't make it easy to filter stuff out of a log. Selective display hides text, except that the hidden text is still there and haunts you when you copy-n-paste blocks of text.
Search works, but creates these wierd non-quite-a-buffer results windows.
I wish list in this area would include:
A search terms list (like keywords) in a tool window.
Each term has checkboxes for:
    Hide matching lines
    Coloring of matching text (or full lines).
    Number and date matching - so I can match these fields by value instead of just by string.
Plus a commit button to remove hidden text from the buffer - so that a "save" operation at that point would not include the hidden text (kind of like "filter search results").
Adding and removing stuff from the toolwindow should be really easy (right click words in the text should have filtering options in the context menu).
"Peek" functionality to temporarily expose all hidden text around the cursor to show the surrounding context once I've found something interesting.