Author Topic: vccheckout isn't working with Perforce  (Read 5071 times)

evanratt

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 23
vccheckout isn't working with Perforce
« on: May 10, 2013, 09:48:17 PM »
I'm finding that when I run 'vccheckout' using the Perforce command-line setup included with Slickedit 18 that the Output window just pops up (I have it set to auto-hide), stays blank, then closes again. If I try 'svc-checkout', I get an error popup: "Command 'remove' not available".

I only even thought to try 'svc-checkout' because I was looking for what command to use to revert (there isn't a 'vcrevert', which surprised me) and found 'svc-revert', which does work, by the way.

Code: [Select]
SlickEdit 2013 (v18.0.0.7 64-bit)

Serial number: FE14399_BETA
License type: Beta License
License expiration: 2013-07-23 08:06:00
License file: C:\ProgramData\slickedit\18\slickedit.lic

Build Date: May 09, 2013
Emulation: Epsilon

OS Version: 6.01.7601  Service Pack 1
Memory: 44% Load, 7248MB/16309MB Physical, 7877MB/32617MB Page File, 303MB/8388607MB Virtual
Shell Info: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 1920 x 1200, 1200 x 1600

Project Type: Microsoft Visual Studio Visual C++
Language: .cpp (C/C++)

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.0 x64 Beta3\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,87010MB free)
Configuration Directory: C:\Users\evan\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\18.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,87010MB free)
Spill File: C:\Users\evan\AppData\Local\Temp\$slk.2 (non-removable drive,NTFS,87010MB free)

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Re: vccheckout isn't working with Perforce
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 08:41:04 PM »
How did you run svc-checkout?  From the command line?

Have you selected Perforce as your version control sytem from Tools>Options>Tools>Version Control?

evanratt

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »
Yep, just running svc-checkout from the command line. We normally use an in-house version control system that I had set up with a custom Command Line setup in Slickedit, and I had all of the VC commands bound to Ctrl-F1 + <some key>. In my custom setup I had our "revert" command setup to run from the vcunlock command. On our current project, though, we're using Perforce and I'm trying to get similar functionality, but I'm realizing that there isn't any vcrevert, so I was looking for how to do this. If you have any suggestions on the correct way to setup a keybinding for revert, I'd appreciate it.

Yes, Perforce is set as my version control system. On a slight tangent, I have the Perforce SCC DLL installed. It's a 32-bit DLL, so in the 64-bit version of Slickedit 18 I just use the included Command Line Perforce setup. However, when I run the 32-bit version of Slickedit 18, even if I uncheck the "SCC providers" box and check the "Command line systems" box, to use the included Perforce setup instead of the SCC DLL, the next time I open up the options the SCC version is selected again, instead of the included Command-line version.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »
Binding svc-revert should work.  I just double checked this by running it from the command line in a Perforce project, and it worked without incident.  I am not sure what is going on.  You didn't make your own Perforce.e, did you?

evanratt

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 03:55:42 PM »
Sorry, I wrote the previous comment without having my morning coffee yet. svc-revert is working, it's svc-checkout that's failing for me.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »
Ah, well that behavior I can reproduce.  I've had my coffee already so I hope I'll have a fix to you before too long ;)

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 04:01:24 PM »
It is actually just a bad error message, I will fix that.  The command to checkout a single file in the new framework is svc_edit.  Please let me know that it works for you.

evanratt

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 04:03:48 PM »
svc-edit looks like it works. Thanks!

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 04:13:22 PM »
For the new framework (all the svc-* commands), Perforce is the first system I did, so some of the names come from Perforce's command line names.  Perforce's command line uses edit - but their GUI calls it checkout.  I went with edit because CVS and Subversion have a [rarely used] edit command that is for single files.

The commands also support a separate caption, so the checkin command is svc-commit because that is what most of the systems we support use, but the caption on Perforce will be "submit" because that seems to be the term Perforce uses.

evanratt

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 04:38:03 PM »
Gotcha. I'm pretty new to Perforce, myself, so I'm more familiar with the GUI terms than the console terms; didn't even think to look for "edit". It's working now for me, so I'm happy.