Author Topic: Line Endings format is not being remembered  (Read 3365 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 197
  • Text
Line Endings format is not being remembered
« on: May 08, 2013, 11:47:22 pm »
So androids "Adb" on Windows has this really annoying feature: Its output line endings are CR CR LF.
     adb logcat > log.txt
Blah.

By default ("Automatic"), when Slick opens log.txt it displays it double-spaced.
Presumably, Slick picks ClassicMac in this case.

So, I also have to close the file, File->Open, find the file, and pick a specific line ending mode - such as Unix.

I just noticed that Beta2 doesn't remember this.
So, I load "log.txt" with Unix lineendings. Quit VS. Run VS.
"log.txt" is loaded again, but it is displayed double-spaced.
VS17 didn't do this - it always remembered what line ending format I had last opened the file with.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: Line Endings format is not being remembered
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 04:28:32 pm »
What happens if you close the file, leave SlickEdit open, then re-open that file from the history list portion at the bottom of the File menu? It should be remembering the manually chosen line ending format in that case. This may be broken in the auto-restore at startup case, since we're made quite a few changes in there to support the new split and tab group features.

Edit:
And if this file is part of a project, double-clicking the file name in the project tree should be working as well once you've manually set the line endings via the Open dialog.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:31:58 pm by Matthew »

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 197
  • Text
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 04:18:37 am »
File open with specific line endings.
File close.
File open without  specific line endings.
Double-spaced file :-(

File->Reload->CHange line-endings works though :-) (but still it doesn't remember the settings for the next time).

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 02:34:07 pm »
OK, sorry, but had a total brain burp on this. We do remember (via the vrestore file) the last encoding that was explicitly used, but not then line ending mode. That is always determined on-the-fly when the file is first read. With one exception: You can specify to always use a particular line format based on language mode. So you could go to the Miscellaneous Languages > Plain Text section of the options, and on the File Options page set the Line format value to always use Windows/DOS endings.