Author Topic: B3: Folder diff with Source Diff enabled problems  (Read 4071 times)

jnairb

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 11
B3: Folder diff with Source Diff enabled problems
« on: May 15, 2013, 11:13:16 PM »
I'm running Windows x64 beta 3 on Windows 7. I was just trying to compare several files in one directory to another. File compare options were set to Expand tabs, Ignore trailing spaces, Don't compare newlines, and Source Diff. After getting the list of different files, I ran a diff on one pair and got really weird results -- it showed hundreds of differences even though there are only 3 or 4, and the text of the 'right' file was all garbled. I can't attach the actual files, but I'm attaching screen shots to give you an idea. I didn't get this for all files -- I don't know why this file caused this. If I turn off Source Diff it works OK. If I do a diff of the two files without doing the folder diff first, even with the Source Diff enabled, it works OK.

diff-window.png shows the Diff window with really odd difference highlighting. left-file.png shows the section of the file in the left pane of the diff after exiting Diff. right-file-after-exiting-diff.png shows the file in the right pane after exiting Diff, including weird highlighting in the file even after the Diff has exited. right-file-after-restarting.png shows the file in the right pane after restarting SlickEdit.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Re: B3: Folder diff with Source Diff enabled problems
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:34:46 PM »
So far I am unable to reproduce this.  Here are some questions that I hope will shed some light on it:

Can you reproduce this?  Can you reproduce it by just comparing the two files with the same options?  If the answer to either of these is yes, can you try it in 17.0?

Is there any chance you can send me a files?

jnairb

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 03:53:13 PM »
I can reproduce it. I wasn't able to reproduce it by just doing a diff directly between the two files. It only occurred when doing the folder diff and then the file diff from the folder diffs. I also noticed now that it only occurred when both files were open in the editor prior to doing the diff.

I did recreate it now in VS17 -- I tried that before, but I didn't have the files open in VS before starting the diff when I first tried to recreate it. So should I submit a problem report against VS17 instead then?

I can't give you the files, but maybe I can obfuscate them to get you some test files.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 04:02:16 PM »
I can't give you the files, but maybe I can obfuscate them to get you some test files.

This would be a BIG help.

jnairb

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 04:44:48 PM »
I have a stripped down and partially obfuscated pair of files that I can still recreate the problem with. Can I email them directly to you? Email me at bej (at) arbin.net if you want. Thanks.