Author Topic: Why key-in the symbol '$' in source-window, but it show the symbol '¥'  (Read 1316 times)

Prax

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Hi All :

I got a problem in v17.0.3.0 64-bit Linux version.
Why I key-in the symbol '$' in source-window, but SlickEdit show the symbol '¥' .
I save the *.c file and close the SlickEdit normally.
Then I try to use the emacs editor to open the *.c file and the emacs show the symbol '$' correctly.
Does anyone know how to adjust the setting?

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 42
What font are you using for source windows in SlickEdit?  I know I've seen one Japanese font on linux that shows the yen symbol for $, but I can't remember the name of it;  doesn't seem to be installed on my current system.  That would give the behavior you're describing if emacs is set up with a different font.

Prax

• Community Member
Hi patrick,

The emacs and SlickEdit use the same font "DejaVu Sans Mono".
But only SlickEdit has this issue.
I tried other fonts I installed in ubuntu, emacs can't reproduce that.
So I don't think that is about fontset.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 42
Right, it  shouldn't be DejaVu Sans Mono, it's a common font that I use myself sometimes on linux. And it sounds like a display problem, since the right character code is being put out to file.

Could you either post, or PM me with the "vunxdefs.e" file from your config directory? 

Prax

• Community Member
Hi patrick,

The attached file is my vunxdefs.e

Prax

• Community Member
Hi patrick,

I resolved this problem by myself.
The root cause is my Ubuntu not English version.
Therefore SlickEdit refer to Linux's environment variable(LC_ALL, LANG and LANGUAGE) to setup its display.
I use the following command to redeclare those Linux's environment variable before launching SlickEdit.
Now it work well.

export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
export LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8