Author Topic: Existing config ignored  (Read 1450 times)

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 27
Existing config ignored
« on: May 16, 2013, 06:40:50 pm »
I uninstalled all betas and deleted any remaining configs, then installed B4. It ignored my V17 setup so is using the default (after running the setup wizard) config.

Is this correct? Either way, how do I get it to import my V17 setup?

dunkers

Re: Existing config ignored
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 06:47:13 pm »
Sorry, I wasn't clear with that. I realise I can export from V17 and import to V18, but some things are not quite right when I do that (for instance, preview window partitioning). With previous versions, and B1, SE just did it during install and got pretty much everything spot on. It's this aspect that I've come to expect...

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 08:47:29 pm »
Some of the storage for options has changed *slightly*, but those mostly are the settings regarding file tabs, and editor window behaviors. If you delete the existing 18.0.0 configuration directory, it should re-migrate your 17.0.x configuration on startup, as long as it can find it. It could be fooled if you've got a custom desktop shortcut or launcher script that contains a -sc argument or the -migrate flag.

dunkers

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:17:05 pm »
The only desktop icons have the +new switch. I deleted the data directory, the isntall directory, and made sure there were no start menu items left over.

What's really a big pain about this is that despite exporting the config from V17 and importing into B4, none of my compiler properties have made it across (and there doesn't actually seem to be an option to export compiler properties in either V17 or B4). There are quite a few, and I really don't want to go through redoing them all.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 09:29:17 pm »
What platform are you on? If you're on Vista or Win7, have you ever had to run SE 17.x under Admin credentials? (And I mean the application, not the installer. Reason I ask is that I've seen UAC mess up read access to the config dir)

When you run B4 after removing the 18.0.0 config directory, do you get any sort of "migrating config" progress dialog, or do you end up with the Quick Start configuration wizard? When the 18.0.0 configuration is created, is it still a sibling of the previous versions' configs?

There's been no change to the compiler configuration format, so in the meantime you can safely copy the compilers.xml file from your previous config over to the 18.0.0 directory. (It's in the root of the config dir)

dunkers

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:41:14 pm »
Win7 x64 and I'm an admin equiv (but not the admin). UAC is on. So far as I can recall, I've never had a UAC problem with SE.

Thanks for the tip re compilers :)

dunkers

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 09:50:07 pm »
OK, figured this one out now:

When I said I'd deleted the data directory, to be more specific I deleted the data but left the root directory (i.e. the "18.0.0" bit) in situ. There was nothing in it, but that seems to have caused the problem. If I delete the directory then SE does the copying as expected.

This probably wouldn't occur in normal use since each SE version creates it's own new directory. Only on the beta are we re-using it.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 01:45:44 pm »
Thanks for the update. Glad it's working.