Author Topic: Controlling which MDI horizontal tab group is on top or bottom  (Read 4066 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
Hi:

I just had an occasion where I wanted to use horizontal split screen.  I right clicked on a tab and selected "New horizontal tab group".

It created a new horizontal tab group, but it put the file that I clicked on into the bottom tab group, while the remaining files were in the top tab group.

I would rather have this file in the top tab group.

Is there a way to change how the tab groups are displayed?  Can I switch the top tab group with the bottom one?

When creating a new horizontal tab group, maybe you could add a way to specify whether we want the new group on top or on bottom?

Thanks,
Rob

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: Controlling which MDI horizontal tab group is on top or bottom
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »
I really like this suggestion, but I'm not sure we're going to see it in this release. I'll get it into the feature tracker. There's a good chance we can get this into one of the service pack releases later this year.

There are a couple ways this could be implemented.
1) A global option to control if new horizontal tab groups are created above or below, and a similar option for vertical tab groups being created left or right. (Front runner)
2) Replace existing "new tab group" menu commands with "new group above" /"new group below" and "new group left"/"new group right". (Close second)
3) A "swap tab group left/right" and "swap tab group up/down" menu command. (Distant third. Not keen on this one, but may as well throw it out there.)

rowbearto

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 04:33:06 PM »
Thanks Matt for your reply. 

I prefer option 2 the most because then each time I do the split I can decide where to put it. 

Each time I want to split it may be different, I may want the file on top or bottom - so with a global option its more steps to accomplish this if the desire changes.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 04:49:28 PM »
You might find create-tile useful.  If you invoke that command, you can then point to where you want the window to appear...up/down/left/right.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

rowbearto

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 05:21:19 PM »
Just tried 'create-tile' (beta4).

No matter whether I use up or down arrow, it always creates the new tab group below the existing one.  And it duplicates whichever window is active.  So it doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 05:41:47 PM »
My mistake...you are right about that :(.  I saw that it gives focus to where you point, and didn't check that the new group is actually created there.  FWIW I also think it's a worthwhile option though, thanks for the input.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 02:22:40 AM »
I took a look at the code and it's already designed so that split or new tab group can be before of after. We just need to expose the option to Slick-C which is easy.

rowbearto

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 02:29:47 PM »
Thanks very much Clark and SE team for implementing this, I am using it all the time!

This is just a nitpicky comment.

When I do the drop down, we see the 2 options listed in this order:

New Horizontal Tab Group Below
New Horizontal Tab Group Above

Could we switch the order, so that the "Above" is above the "Below" option?  Then it would match the "above" and "below" to have the above option above the below one.

A few times I clicked on the wrong one, I think this may be why.

Thanks,
Rob