Author Topic: Video : Using the new MDI architecture  (Read 6900 times)

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Video : Using the new MDI architecture
« on: April 24, 2013, 07:05:40 pm »
We posted a short video on YouTube with an overview of the new MDI layout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OtzplGpIKM

dunkers

• Hero Points: 36
Re: Video : Using the new MDI architecture
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 02:36:55 am »
Could I ask that you put captions or something on videos like this, please? Or even just a recap in a post (I'm pretty sure I can figure which bits would relate to which part of the video).

I am profoundly deaf, and having watched the demo I am no wiser as to what all the fuss is about.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 02:27:25 pm »
I don't have the software (or the interns :-) ) to do subtitles for these videos, but I can put together a timeline/transcript fairly quickly.

0:15 Removing the now-redundant File Tabs tool window
0:32 Using the file tab context menu to move a file window to a new tab group
0:48 Demo how newly opened files are placed into the tab group of the active tab
0:58 Moving a file window from one tab group to another
1:15 Using the Zoom Toggle command to zoom a file window
1:30 Using the  Next Window command (Ctrl+Tab) to cycle through file windows while preserving zoomed state
1:40 Un-zooming the file windows, showing that previous tab group layout is restored
1:50 Showing how "Split Vertical" and "Split Horizontal" work as before, but are now implemented as tab groups
2:05 Using the "Tile" command to quickly split up the open files into tab groups
2:15 Using the "Untile" command to unite all open file windows into one tab group
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 02:42:28 pm by Matthew »

dunkers

• Hero Points: 36
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 06:06:04 pm »
Thanks very much, Matthew!

lambertia

• Hero Points: 14
  • I have nothing sufficiently witty to say.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 07:38:21 am »
Hi Matthew,

At point 2 you say "remove the now redundant files tabs toolbar". I'm not sure that it is redundant. I have many buffers open but the mdi only shows the file name of the current buffer. It this the intent?

Cheers,
--
Greg.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 01:15:10 pm »
Redundant in the fact that they overlap in function and the new tabs are capable of more operations (like the new splitting & tab groups). Since the video was made more features from the old-style tabs have been retrofitted into the new tabs (like using red coloring to indicate modified files and setting options for how the file path and/or name are displayed).

lambertia

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 10:26:11 pm »
Thanks,

In your video each new file you open is getting a new tab showing its file name. That doesn't happen for me. I only ever have one tab showing the filename of the current buffer. Am I missing something?

Cheers,
--
Greg.

SlickEdit 2013 (v18.0.0.7 32-bit)

Serial number: FE10194_BETA
License type: Beta License
License expiration: 2013-07-25 04:21:00
License file: /opt/slickedit-18.0.0.7/bin/slickedit.lic

Build Date: May 09, 2013
Emulation: Brief

OS Version: Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
Kernel Level: 3.5.0-26-generic
Build Version: #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 8 23:18:20 UTC 2013
Processor Architecture: i686

X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
Memory: 96% Load, 3855MB/3982MB Virtual
Shell Info: /opt/slickedit-18.0.0.7/bin/secsh -i
Screen Size: 1920 x 1080, 1920 x 1080

Project Type: Cpp
Language: .mk (Makefile)

Installation Directory: /opt/slickedit-18.0.0.7/
Configuration Directory: /space/gbarron/work/se/mo-r3.1.1/sc/18.0.0/

davehohl

• Hero Points: 27
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 11:25:02 pm »
I had that problem also. The fix was to change "Editing/Editor Windows/Files per window" to "One file per window".

lambertia

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 11:25:49 pm »
Doh! Thanks :)

dan_public

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 03:51:04 pm »
Matthew,

Nice work.  Thanks for creating and sharing this.

Regarding the previous poster who asked about adding captions to the video, there are software tools that you might want to consider if doing more of these tutorials - Camtasia Studio and ActivePresenter for the PC and Camtasia for Mac and ScreenFlow.   I've been at screencasting tools lately and these seem to be the best, and they allow you to add captions.

Since I don't have a Mac, I can't comment on the Mac products (although ScreenFlow is highly rated).   My top choice for my PC is ActivePresenter.   It can automatically add captions, and show mouse-moves and clicks.    Their two top-end products are pricey, but their free product seems pretty decent.    Their website is: http://atomisystems.com.

I hope this is useful.

Regards,

Dan.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 03:59:55 pm »
Thanks for the information, Dan. We're going to continue making more feature spotlight and tutorial videos, so having something with good caption editing will be important. I think I'll try the trial of Screenflow as that has closed captioning support.

dan_public

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 07:28:42 pm »
Thanks for the information, Dan. We're going to continue making more feature spotlight and tutorial videos, so having something with good caption editing will be important. I think I'll try the trial of Screenflow as that has closed captioning support.
Matthew,

One other consideration - mobile device support for your content.   One general goal I have is to create content that is available to the target audience across all their platforms including mobile devices.    I don't want to spend the time and money dealing with workarounds to make my content available to all of my target audience.  A key limitation of iPhone and iPad is lack of Flash support.  (Since the vast majority of my web browsing and reading is on my iPad, iOS device support is on my radar screen.) 

The screencasting software field is becoming much more robust, but some still have limited support for some user platforms.  For example, ActivePresenter can export to a large number of formats, but they focused on Flash in the past.  That's a negative. That said, they are working on HTML5 support for an upcoming release.  So it looks like a short term negative.   But I'm glad I dug deeper.

Suggestion: Check out user platform support carefully.  When I looked past the marketing verbiage and dug deeper, I found the ActivePresenter limitations.  Now that I know these limitations and how long they will be limitations, I think I can work around them.  I.e. I'm probably OK with them since it's still looks like the best option for my needs.  OTOH, if I found out about the limitations after I shelled out several hundred dollars, I would be seriously PO'd.

Good luck and I look forward to more of your videos.

Best regards,

Dan.

p.s. While writing this, I looked at ScreenFlow out of curiosity.   It looks like ScreenFlow can directly publish to YouTube or Vimeo.  That's a nice feature that ActivePresenter does not have (I just looked).    You can publish to these services with AP, but it's more hassle.  Kind of proves my point about digging deeper.  :)