Author Topic: B5: Unusable - Buffer changes to .command  (Read 12951 times)

bengle

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
B5: Unusable - Buffer changes to .command
« on: May 29, 2013, 09:36:15 PM »
Beta 5 seems to be unusable.  Every time I open a file, as soon as I touch its edit window, the window changes to a ".command" window containing a log of commands issued instead of the file that I am editing.

Is there anywhere I can still download B4?

bengle

Re: B5: Unusable - Buffer changes to .command
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 12:41:53 AM »
After playing around with this some more, it seems to be related to the location from which I open the files.  For various reasons, I have a B: drive that is an alias for my C:\Users\bengle directory.  The B: drive is created by the following command being executed from a batch file when I log onto Windows:
subst B: %USERPROFILE%       (or else:  subst B: C:\Users\bengle)

When I open files via the B: drive (as B:\Projects\...) the problem happens.  If I open those same files from the C: drive
 (as C:\Users\bengle\Projects\...), then the problem does not seem to happen, or at least not yet.

This problem just started happening in Beta 5 because I normally do all of my work through the B: drive.

All you have to do, is open a file, and then click around on the window (or double click) a few times in various places, and all of the sudden, whoosh, the window turns into a command log.  Sometimes, if you have multiple windows open, the file will just close, or the window will magically turn into a buffer for some completely different file.

Also, I am wondering if this might be language-specific.  I can reproduce the problem easily with C++ files, but with batch files and plain text files, it doesn't seem to be happening.

Is there anything I can do to collect problem documentation for you?     

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 01:32:35 AM »
I tried using subst, editing some C++ files, and clicking around and nothing yet.

This still shouldn't happen no matter how you redirected your files.

Let's try a default config first.

Start SlickEdit from a command problem with a default config: "vs +new -sc tempdir"

See if you can reproduce it.

next, close all tool windows and tool bars (even the context combo box).

Next, Macro>Set Macro Variable and set _use_timers=0.

If you can still reproduce it now, it's probably not a timer but there are some independent timers that don't get turned off by _use_timers=0. I really need to add an invocation option to turn of all Slick-C timers for debugging purposes.

When you restart SlickEdit, the _use_timers variable will automatically be turned on. You can also just go back to the menu item and set it back to 1.  Execute "tbResetAll" from the SlickEdit command line to restore all tool windows and tool bars to the default configuration.

jc44

• Hero Points: 22
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 10:12:05 AM »
I have this too - though its not always .command - it has been some other buffer.

Brief emulation, Win 7 x64

It only takes a couple of seconds after I start SE

jc44

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 10:18:37 AM »
I 've now tried your investigation instructions and when I type "vs +new -sc tempdir" I get a Slickedit box that says "'C:\Program Files\DlickeditV18.0.0 x64 Beta5\vslick.sta' is not recognized as a compatible state or pcode file"

Backing off to B4 now... (which luckily I haven't uninstalled yet)

jc44

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 10:31:57 AM »
On restarting it appeared that the previous command had indeed flattened my config (or at least put it in a state where my previous preferences had vanished) so I tried B5 again - same issue.

So I did the next thing on the list and closed all windows I could find and shutdown SE, started SE again (I now have an SE window with just a menu bar), Type Alt-B to select a buffer, do so from the list provided, and I get a Slick-C Error (Invalid object handle, file=tbfilelist.ex offset=4491) and a Slick-C Stack:

Invalid object handle
tbfilelist.ex 4491 tbfilelist:open_selected_files()   p_window_id: 31 (invalid)
tbfilelist.ex 6834 _tbfilelist_form.ctl_filter.enter()   p_window_id: 12 (invalid)

This is very broken!

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 11:05:40 AM »
I 've now tried your investigation instructions and when I type "vs +new -sc tempdir" I get a Slickedit box that says "'C:\Program Files\DlickeditV18.0.0 x64 Beta5\vslick.sta' is not recognized as a compatible state or pcode file"

Backing off to B4 now... (which luckily I haven't uninstalled yet)

This is an indicator that something is very wrong. No point in trying anything else until you can start beta5 with a default config. Maybe this actually ran the beta 4 executable against the beta 5 state file which would cause this problem?

jc44

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 11:45:51 AM »
Yes - I appear to have failed there - I ran the command from a new shall (as opposed to one that was hanging around from before I installed SE B5) and it worked a lot better :-)

SE itself is still terribly confused - it may be that I have bust workspace files as some buffers from one workspace seem to have appeared in another...

jc44

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »
There is definitely something terribly broken here.  I've closed all the extra windows and set _use_timers=0  - my windows seem to have stopped changing randomly now (they were still changing before I set _use_times=0).

I opened a workspace that I haven't touched for a bit (from before installing B5) and found that some of the buffers that I had open in the previous workspace had turned up here - having deleted them (Alt-B, Alt-D...) I picked another buffer and got:

Invalid argument
saveload.ex 439 edit_file(+L -LF +LE -S -E +U:32000 -N +BP   +bi 34)   p_window_id: 18   p_object: OI_EDITOR   p_name:
vc.ex 19507 vc:window_edit2(+L -LF +LE -S -E +U:32000 -N +BP   +bi 34)   p_window_id: 18   p_object: OI_EDITOR   p_name:
vc.ex 19979 window_edit(+L -LF +LE -S -E +U:32000 -N +BP   +bi 34,0)   p_window_id: 18   p_object: OI_EDITOR   p_name:
files.ex 1455 files:edit2( +bi 34,0,)   p_window_id: 18   p_object: OI_EDITOR   p_name:
files.ex 400 edit( +bi 34,0,)   p_window_id: 18   p_object: OI_EDITOR   p_name:
tbfilelist.ex 4495 tbfilelist:open_selected_files()   p_window_id: 18   p_object: OI_EDITOR   p_name:
tbfilelist.ex 4223 _tbfilelist_form.ctl_file_list.on_change(16,24)   p_window_id: 34 (invalid)

bengle

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »
I tried all of the steps that you requested, but none of them has corrected the problem.  However, after starting with a default configuration, in the first step, the method of reproducing the problem has changed.  Before, all I had to do was open a window and click on it a few times.  Now, here is what does it....
1. Open file A.
2. Open file B.
3. Close the window for one of the files.
4. The other file turns into a command log.

Sometimes the window turns into a command log or else the window for a completely different file spontaneously, without me doing anything at all.  I will just be sitting here looking at the screen and all of the sudden, whoosh, there goes the file.

Are there other things I can do to help collect documentation for this.  I would really like to help you in any way I can to resolve this, as this seems to be show-stopper.         

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 02:31:56 PM »
What emulation are you using, and how are you opening and closing the files (commands, menu)?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 02:32:33 PM »
I tried all of the steps that you requested, but none of them has corrected the problem.  However, after starting with a default configuration, in the first step, the method of reproducing the problem has changed.  Before, all I had to do was open a window and click on it a few times.  Now, here is what does it....
1. Open file A.
2. Open file B.
3. Close the window for one of the files.
4. The other file turns into a command log.

Sometimes the window turns into a command log or else the window for a completely different file spontaneously, without me doing anything at all.  I will just be sitting here looking at the screen and all of the sudden, whoosh, there goes the file.

Are there other things I can do to help collect documentation for this.  I would really like to help you in any way I can to resolve this, as this seems to be show-stopper.       

It sounds like you can reproduce this with a default config. It will be much easier for me to reproduce this if you can do the following:
   * Close your workspace
   * Close all files

Now restart SlickEdit and see if you can reproduce the problem with some steps. If you can, zip up your entire config and send them to me as I described in the PM I sent you. You can post the steps for reproducing the problem here.

Thanks

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 02:40:39 PM »
There is definitely something terribly broken here.  I've closed all the extra windows and set _use_timers=0  - my windows seem to have stopped changing randomly now (they were still changing before I set _use_times=0).

I opened a workspace that I haven't touched for a bit (from before installing B5) and found that some of the buffers that I had open in the previous workspace had turned up here - having deleted them (Alt-B, Alt-D...) I picked another buffer and got:

Invalid argument
saveload.ex 439 edit_file(+L -LF +LE -S -E +U:32000 -N +BP   +bi 34)   p_window_id: 18   p_object: OI_EDITOR   p_name:
vc.ex 19507 vc:window_edit2(+L -LF +LE -S -E +U:32000 -N +BP   +bi 34)   p_window_id: 18   p_object: OI_EDITOR   p_name:
vc.ex 19979 window_edit(+L -LF +LE -S -E +U:32000 -N +BP   +bi 34,0)   p_window_id: 18   p_object: OI_EDITOR   p_name:
files.ex 1455 files:edit2( +bi 34,0,)   p_window_id: 18   p_object: OI_EDITOR   p_name:
files.ex 400 edit( +bi 34,0,)   p_window_id: 18   p_object: OI_EDITOR   p_name:
tbfilelist.ex 4495 tbfilelist:open_selected_files()   p_window_id: 18   p_object: OI_EDITOR   p_name:
tbfilelist.ex 4223 _tbfilelist_form.ctl_file_list.on_change(16,24)   p_window_id: 34 (invalid)

This stack is from using the Files tool window. Some how the buffer id disappeared unexpectedly. This may be just an after affect of the original bug.

bengle

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 03:01:46 PM »
I restarted SlickEdit again and I can still reproduce the problem.  I am using the Visual Studio emulation, and that was about the only thing I specified when I restarted with the default configuration.

Once again, this seems to be language related, because, at least so far, it only seems to be happening with C++ files (.cpp and .h).   Also, for whatever reason, it only appears to be happening when I open files through the B: drive.  This is all anecdotal, and could just be a coincidence.  I will keep experimenting to find out.

The B: drive is created by the following command being executed from a batch file when I log onto Windows:
subst B: %USERPROFILE%       (or else:  subst B: C:\Users\bengle)

When I open files via the B: drive (as B:\Projects\...) the problem happens.  If I open those same files from the C: drive (as C:\Users\bengle\Projects\...), then the problem does not seem to happen, at least thus far.

How can I send you my config files?  Also, I could privately send you a couple of source files that I am using in case that makes any difference.  My email address is <hidden> if you want to give me a private place to send the files.       
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 03:05:02 PM by Jeffrey »

jc44

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »
For what its worth I'm using Brief emulation, and nearly all my files are C/C++ on network drives.