Author Topic: Beta 6 Tab Color Still Unusable  (Read 9247 times)

dan_public

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
Beta 6 Tab Color Still Unusable
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:32:13 PM »
As reported before, the new tab colors make them extremely difficult to see.   This needs to be fixed before going to production.   

To be blunt, if this is not fixed when V18 goes live, I will NOT upgrade and will start looking at other code editors.

Dan.

p.s.  I've been using SlickEdit since V1.0.  I'd hate to change.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Beta 6 Tab Color Still Unusable
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 10:51:50 PM »
It is likely this will change or at least options which you can change. So far, we've been focusing on more basic things like ...making it work ;D

Thanks for you feedback

dan_public

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 12:16:58 AM »
It is likely this will change or at least options which you can change. So far, we've been focusing on more basic things like ...making it work ;D

Thanks for you feedback
Well, there 'ya go... Bein' rational and all!  :)  Good point.

Dan.

jc44

• Hero Points: 22
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 10:40:54 AM »
Heh! I like the edit tab colours - they finally follow my desktop preferences - which is something I've been wanting for ages!

dan_public

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »
Heh! I like the edit tab colours - they finally follow my desktop preferences - which is something I've been wanting for ages!
That's because they are readable on your monitor.   They are NOT readable on mine.  The tab colors need to be user modifiable.

jc44

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 03:49:17 PM »
I'm not arguing with you, but in previous versions of SE the edit window borders and titles were always blue/light blue which I never found any method of changing.  In this version they seem (on Win7) to follow the colour1 I have selected for Active Title Bar in Control Panel/Personalisation/Window Colour and Appearance/Advanced appearance settings...

dan_public

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 05:21:26 PM »
I'm not arguing with you, but in previous versions of SE the edit window borders and titles were always blue/light blue which I never found any method of changing.  In this version they seem (on Win7) to follow the colour1 I have selected for Active Title Bar in Control Panel/Personalisation/Window Colour and Appearance/Advanced appearance settings...
Interesting.  Your windows settings are probably different from mine.

This approach would probably be fine if 1) the tabs did not have a gradient appearance and 2) if the text in dark colored active tabs changed to white.   

The best alternative would be to provide for specific user choices.  OTOH, a good general approach would probably be the evolving "flat" UI standards that mobile phones are moving to.  It looks like even Apple is moving to that direction if iOS7.

Regards,

Dan.

jc44

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »
Interesting.  Your windows settings are probably different from mine.

Unless you have your classic active window title & borders set to bright pink (I like to be able to instantly locate the window with the focus) then I'd guess so too  :)

dan_public

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 05:52:32 PM »
Bright pink!   Noooooo....  I'm going blind!!!!!!  ;D

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 06:36:48 PM »
You can still use the old tab interface alongside the new tab interface.

View->Tool Windows->File Tabs

I also don't like the color and gradients on the new tab interface, so I keep enabling the old tab interface.  I hope SE team has time to change it.  I complained about it too in this thread:

http://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,9033.0.html

One thing that I found out is that you may need to switch to "multiple files per window" for the old tab interface to work, see:

http://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,9199.0.html

It seems that beta5 introduced something that does not let the old tab interface work when you don't have "multiple files per window" set.

rowbearto

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 02:39:37 PM »
Just also want to report that when I use this in Linux, the tab for the active window, blue tab, with gradient, is very hard to read.

I've attached a screenshot.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 06:50:49 PM »
Just an FYI that we are doing away with the gradients on document tabs. Right now we're in the middle of deciding how to present the configuration options (and the sane defaults) for tweaking the active and inactive tab colors.

rowbearto

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 07:02:02 PM »
Thanks Matthew, that would be great!

For tweaking the tab colors, might I suggest a few "themes"?  A theme would be a set of active,inactive,etc tab colors - to save time and energy of tweaking each tab color individually.

You could have some pre-canned themes like "slickedit classic" theme, much like version 17, and also the new theme that uses system colors.

dan_public

• Community Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 08:12:35 PM »
Just an FYI that we are doing away with the gradients on document tabs. Right now we're in the middle of deciding how to present the configuration options (and the sane defaults) for tweaking the active and inactive tab colors.
Matthew,

Excellent!!!   I agree with rowbearto about themes.   The ability to set each tab color would be nice, but a set of themes would give us a starting point.

Regards,

Dan.

skywise

• Hero Points: 10
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 09:03:17 PM »
Any chance you could do this for the hidden docked tool window tabs too?