Author Topic: B6 Win7x64: CPU pegged and user input frozen when tab is dragged out of window  (Read 5366 times)

mako

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
This happened in both Beta 5 and Beta 6, on Windows 7 (specs below), but not Ubuntu 10.04.

When I click and drag a tab out of a window (either the main window or a floating window), a new floating window border is drawn with the tab's pane in it, but no tab, and the UI locks up, and one of my CPU cores goes to 100%. By "UI locks up" I mean the entire Windows UI is unresponsive: I can move the mouse pointer around, and I see the cursor blinking in the VS window, but the UI won't respond to mouse clicks or key presses, except for Ctrl-Alt-Del, at which point everything unfreezes and I get the blue screen with the Lock, Switch User, Log-off ... options. At this point I can click on the cancel button and the UI is back to normal, with a new floating VS window containing the tab that I had dragged, now with the tab drawn at the top.

BTW, as implied below for screen size, I have two monitors. The UI freezes on both of them.

SlickEdit 2013 (v18.0.0.10 64-bit)

Serial number: FE15999_BETA
License type: Beta License
License expiration: 2013-07-23 08:15:00
License file: C:\ProgramData\slickedit\18\slickedit.lic

Build Date: May 30, 2013
Emulation: CUA

OS Version: 6.01.7601  Service Pack 1
Memory: 76% Load, 3034MB/3991MB Physical, 3373MB/7981MB Page File, 296MB/8388607MB Virtual
Shell Info: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 1920 x 1080, 1920 x 1080

Project Type: Gnuc
Language: .txt (Plain Text)

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.0 x64 Beta6\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,44491MB free)
Configuration Directory: C:\Users\mako\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\18.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,44491MB free)

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Do you see this hang up when you float the window using the document tab context menu's "Float" or "Float All" command? Or is it only occurring when you create the floating group with drag/drop? Do you have any sort of special mouse driver software or similar "non-stock" desktop utilities running?

mako

• Community Member
It does not happen when I use the "Float" command on the tab's context menu.
I have a Wacom Bamboo tablet and its attendant driver installed (version 5.2.5-5a on the Wacom driver download page).
I also have a Logitech VX Nano cordless mouse and SetPoint software installed. The SetPoint software says the Control Center Software version is 6.52.74, and the driver version is 5.52.29.

I tried unplugging the tablet and using a mouse instead and got the same freezing behavior. I'm reluctant to try uninstalling the tablet driver, as it took me a while to get it set up the way I like.

I think the freeze is related to the repositioning behavior of the new floating window. Since my original post I have been experimenting and a couple of times after I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and get control back, the floating window is now in the reposition mode, where it follows the pointer and the relative-position graphic shows up when it is over an existing window. I am able to position it and then use it normally when this happens.

fporter

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
I'm seeing same problem in b5 and b6. As soon as I rip out a tab my system freezes (I have split the MDI window vertically and have multiple tabs in each pane).  Ctrl-alt-del either kills SE or when I return the tab i tore out is sometimes still floating and movable or it is docked.  Tab context menu operations do not cause this problem.

I'm using a Logitech Anywhere MX mouse on a Dell m4600 laptop.

SlickEdit 2013 (v18.0.0.10 64-bit)

Serial number: FE22590_BETA
License type: Beta License
License expiration: 2013-08-19 09:26:00
License file: C:\ProgramData\slickedit\18\slickedit.lic

Build Date: May 30, 2013
Emulation: CUA

OS Version: 6.01.7601  Service Pack 1
Memory: 59% Load, 9729MB/16341MB Physical, 13442MB/32680MB Page File, 243MB/8388607MB Virtual
Shell Info: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 1920 x 1080

Project Type: Cpp
Language: .c (C/C++)

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.0 x64 Beta6\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,100449MB free)
Configuration Directory: C:\Users\fporter\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\18.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,100449MB free)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 05:51:55 PM by fporter »

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Thanks for the info, guys. One quick thing that I'd ask you to test if could. I'm wanting to see if this is a general drag/drop issue, or just affects dragging out of the main MDI.
1. Open more than two documents and float them (via the context menu). You'll now have multiple floating panes with one file per pane.
2. Attempt to drag from on floating pane into another floater.
3. Attempt to drag a floating tab back to the main MDI.

Looks like we'll have to install the SetPoint software to see if that has anything to do with this.

fporter

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
It likely is Setpoint.  With Setpoint active, dragging a floating tab freezes my system, ctrl-alt-del then esc unfreezes and the first tab had closed.  The second floating tab was still floating.  Same freeze if I then drag that tab.

After I exited Setpoint (from system tray) I could drag the tab and doc it to the MDI (prior to exiting setpoint i never saw the doc icon).  I can now also rip tabs and move them to different panes.

mako

• Community Member
I created two floating windows in addition to my main window. The freeze occurs regardless of the type of window I'm dragging the tab from, and it occurs as soon as the drag starts and the new floating window is drawn overlapping the old window that the tab was dragged from, not as a result of moving the dragged tab over a different window.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
It likely is Setpoint.  With Setpoint active, dragging a floating tab freezes my system, ctrl-alt-del then esc unfreezes and the first tab had closed.  The second floating tab was still floating.  Same freeze if I then drag that tab.

After I exited Setpoint (from system tray) I could drag the tab and doc it to the MDI (prior to exiting setpoint i never saw the doc icon).  I can now also rip tabs and move them to different panes.

What Logitech MX mouse do you have? Did you change any options in SetPoint. We have installed SetPoint with a Logitech MX 600 mouse and are not seeing a problem. Do you also have any Waacom hardware attached?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
This won't repro on my machine but on another machine here with a Logitech MX 600 mouse with SetPoint, I can reproduce the problem. This problem appears to have something to do with the SetPoint driver. Without it, everything works fine.