Author Topic: Beta4: Disabling tabs/MDI?  (Read 11333 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 210
  • Text
Re: Beta4: Disabling tabs/MDI?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 06:57:43 PM »
Is there are cmd line equivalent for creating a new floater?
I had a bad habit of running Notepad a lot for a temporary scratch space.

It'd be nice if I could, from the CMD.exe cmdline do two things:
1: Create a new floater on my 2nd monitor with an empty buffer
2: Create a new floater on my 2nd monitor with a named file.

John H.

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
  • Systems and kernel programmer
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 08:48:07 PM »
The new MDI system does have some improvements that have made the impossible possible now, and for that I am deeply grateful.  Specifically, in order to work with "a few" open windows at a time, you used to have to manually arrange the tiling in order to get any sort of reasonable layout.  And if you resized the main window, or opened up an "output" or other window that took up space, it would not adjust the MDI child windows' scrollbars...it was so bad that I used to just open up a bunch of terminal windows around SlickEdit, in order to see other files.

Now, however, the tabbed MDI windows just seem to predict what I want!  It's sooo nice!  If I have a couple of MDI windows tiled, they scale as the main window scales. If I open a new file, instead of blapping it (that's a technical term) on top of the other windows, it cleverly chooses the active MDI child and adds the new file as a tabbed window. 

It's all just perfect.  thank you thank you!

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 12:04:00 AM »
Menu drop down hot keys (like Alt+W) will work in floating MDI windows in the next beta. Windows: Alt+Tab will set focus back to a floating MDI window if it had focus in the next beta.

machish

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 02:37:13 AM »
>>> Interesting...Maybe we need an option for opening new edit windows as floating windows overlapping the main mdi area. Would that help?

I think it would largely mitigate my complaint. :)
I'm not sure what the consequences would be when the main window is moved/dragged. I might not notice it, because I rarely move/resize my editor window.

>>> There are too many problems with the old child-MDI interface for most people. The best of all worlds would have been if we could have two user interfaces but since SlickEdit is just a little bit smaller than Microsoft (ya just a little), this was and still is a totally impossibility.
OK, thanks for the explanation. As a user it's very easy to ask 'Why not just do both? How hard could it be?'. It's not obvious as a user how expensive the different options are.

>>> Menu drop down hot keys (like Alt+W) will work in floating MDI windows in the next beta. Windows: Alt+Tab will set focus back to a floating MDI window if it had focus in the next beta.
Awesome! Thanks a lot!

-martin

skywise

• Hero Points: 10
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 02:26:04 PM »
I concur - I haven't tested past Beta 2 (sorry, been in a minor crunch and don't want to disrupt my environment) but from the screenshot - I think if you have the ability to hide the tab in the MDI window and I can open up new files anywhere on the desktop that look like "MDI" windows that would be awesome.

(Maybe make the tool window floatable as well? - I wonder if that would work docking the symbols/projects/files window to the desktop... That way I wouldn't have to go back to "the app")