Author Topic: B6/B7 MDI floating placement  (Read 4719 times)

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 36
B6/B7 MDI floating placement
« on: June 04, 2013, 12:07:49 PM »
First: Thank you thank you thank you thank you :D

I lurve the new floating MDI edit windows. My normal scheme is to have two side-by-side windows, multiple files per window, and splitting to have another view has never been satisfactory. Now I can just pop one out to the second monitor and still have my normal view.

But... When you pop the window out by dragging the tab, it snaps to the centre of the main SE window rather than where you dragged it to. I think it should drop when you  drop it instead.

Similarly, if you have a popped out window when you close SE, on re-starting SE the poppe out window is central to the SE workspace rather than its last location. Bit of a drag if you've got a few of them to reposition.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:28:41 AM by dunkers »

dunkers

Re: B6 MDI floating placement
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 01:27:27 AM »
This (the floating window reverting to the centre of the SE workspace window on restart) is still happening in B7. I would term this a critical bug because it stops me using floating windows.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: B6/B7 MDI floating placement
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 11:58:03 AM »
This is a problem with a driver you have installed and can't be fixed in SlickEdit.

One machine we have here did this when the Logitech setpoint driver was installed and some snap/center to ok button option was enabled. We had to reboot the machine and change the option for the setpoint bug to go away. It's actually moving the SlickEdit window well after we've positioned the floating window.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:07:02 PM by Clark »

dunkers

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
Intersting, thanks Clark. I do have setpoint installed, but it's not set to manage any windows. I also have Catalyst Control Centre (for my AMD graphics card) which will mess about with windows too. But, again, that's set to not do anything.

To track this down, I started up SE and moved the main window to my second monitor then floated a window and moved it to my primary monitor. I wanted to see if the floated window pops up in the center of my primary monitor, or the center of the SE window. On closing and restarting SE the floated window opened where it was left!

I then tried a few other combinations, including not just my original problem but also the way in which I floated the windows, closed SE, etc. The floated window now acts as it should. Perversely, that's more than a little bit annoying.

If it does it again I'll bear your comments in mind and see if I can track down what's doing this.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »
When we saw the problem, it would magically appear after a while. If we rebooted, the problem would go away for a while and then magically reappear and never go away until reboot. It's pretty bizarre. It's definitely a driver issue though.