Author Topic: Announce new Beta versions in the SlickEdit Twitter feed.  (Read 4151 times)

mjdl

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 18
  • SE Pro 2023 v28.0.2.0 64-bit Qt5 Win 11 23H2
Announce new Beta versions in the SlickEdit Twitter feed.
« on: June 06, 2013, 06:00:40 PM »
I'm old school and don't see the point about reviewing my lunch on Twitter ::) but one thing I really do appreciate about Twitter is as a news/announcement/current awareness service. So, can @SlickEdit put a little notice of new betas when they are ready for download at the customer portal?

Another idea would be a separate @SlickEdit-Beta Twitter account which would do the above messages, as well as messages in the format VSDIFF fixed in beta 7 http://bit.ly/122SdVm, i.e. maintain a an easily accessible public overview of when beta problems discussed in the forum are ostensibly fixed in a beta.

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
Re: Announce new Beta versions in the SlickEdit Twitter feed.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 12:16:27 PM »
I'll second that.  Useful stuff like news, releases, betas, etc. are terribly interesting to this follower, and probably 'most anyone that would follow @SlickEdit.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 07:14:42 PM »
We probably wouldn't use Twitter for 'I just fixed this, see it in the next beta' type announcements, since we already do that on this forum. But we could start tweeting each beta release. (Next of which will be early next week)

mjdl

• Hero Points: 18
  • SE Pro 2023 v28.0.2.0 64-bit Qt5 Win 11 23H2
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 09:01:48 PM »
Well, the fix announcements are scattered all over the forum threads.

But actually I tend agree with you--why complicate communications with customers, announcing the beta releases in the Twitter feed is enough, and the existing forum threads do provide an opportunity to point out when a fix hasn't actually solved a problem. (Perhaps the beta release readme files could provide links to relevant forum threads about the major fixes in each beta, just in order to organize and de-duplicate any further follow-ups from testers.)