Author Topic: B6: Mac: cpu usage  (Read 2672 times)

Ed Barnard

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
B6: Mac: cpu usage
« on: June 11, 2013, 12:28:51 PM »
I have 14 files open in three tab groups. The main window has the class window and two tab groups, with a third window floated to a different screen with another tab group. CPU usage remains a steady 33-34% whilst SlickEdit is idle.

I'm posting this because that seems to be right at (or just past) SlickEdit's limit for open windows/files on my Mac. I'm running Macbook Pro Retina 15, 2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, Mountain Lion 10.8.4, SSD internal drive.

At this point I do see slow response, a very few missed keystrokes, and often difficulty registering triple-click to select a line.

However, as I click back and forth between tab sets to count the above, SlickEdit CPU usage has dropped to 1-2%. Now that it's idle while I continue typing in the browser, it's climbed back up to 20%.

So... there is something chewing up CPU, but it doesn't seem to be the continuous-repaint problem. SlickEdit 2012 on Mac is unusable (continuous repaint), and B6 is not only very usable but, for me, far superior to anything else because I can spread across multiple screens.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: B6: Mac: cpu usage
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 03:50:50 PM »
We're still looking into this. We've been able to reproduce it on Windows and Mac. Right now we think there's a non-editor window widget that is in a state of constant refresh. Primary suspect is a scrollbar.

Ed Barnard

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
Re: B6: Mac: cpu usage
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »
You're on it... great!

Now that you mention it, another weirdness I noticed. Sometimes when I triple click to select a line, the window abruptly scrolls up or down a few lines. Reminds me of one of those joke javascripts on a web page where the cursor jumps around and is uncatchable. The solution is easy; deselect and try again. But perhaps the spontaneous scrolling up or down is related, so I'm mentioning it.