Author Topic: B7 tab colour settings broken  (Read 15784 times)

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 36
B7 tab colour settings broken
« on: June 13, 2013, 01:50:25 AM »
I use Tools | Colors | Application to change the document tab settings. I see the following problems:

Changing the selected colors (background and/or foreground) has no effect.

Changing the unselected colors (background and/or foreground) affects the selected tab!

When the 'use system default color' option is ticked, the sample box shows a classic black on grey, but the unselected tab has a white background. The selected tab is some weird shade of blue and can't be change at all.

dunkers

Re: B7 tab colour settings broken
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 12:13:29 AM »
This is still broken in the SE 2013 release.

I think there is some confusion as well: I was under the impression that selected means the tab of the window you're currently working in, and unselected means the tabs of other windows. However, I see that there is an active setting, and that one alters the tab of the window you're working in. That makes sense: it is the active tab.

But... what is selected and unselected, then? Changing the unselected setting appears to do nothing, and changing the selected setting affects the tab of the windows you're not working in (i.e. what I would call the unselected tab).

Any chance of resolving this, or at least explaining what they mean?

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 02:11:53 AM »
Here's how it looks to me when these apply.  Hopefully this helps and doesn't confuse you further :-\.  I think these are all working right, but they are just a little confusing.

• Active - The tab of the current document you are in which has focus.
  • Selected - The tab of the current document when that editor window does not have focus.
  • Unselected - The tabs of the non-current documents...which of course, do not have focus.

So you should see that the Active/Selected colors toggle if you click in the editor window (Active), and then click to another app (Selected), and then move back to the editor window (Active again).

Is this how it looks like it's working for you?

- Ryan

dunkers

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 08:45:31 AM »
Ah! Now you've explained it it makes sense - I didn't realise the color would change when you selected a different app.

But... it doesn't work for me, still. On switching focus to something else, the active tab now uses the selected color so all tabs are the same. The unselected color is not used anywhere that I can see.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 54
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 12:54:15 PM »
I'm starting to suspect your configured colors are borked. Try running with a clean config.

++rodney

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 02:18:43 PM »
On switching focus to something else, the active tab now uses the selected color...

That is correct, but

...so all tabs are the same. The unselected color is not used anywhere that I can see.

all tabs shouldn't be the same color unless you have the same colors set for Selected/Unselected.  Is that perhaps the case?  The Unselected color should be being used for any tabs you have open that are not currently the Active tab...regardless of whether or not SlickEdit has focus.  So if you have 3 tabs open and 1 is the Active tab, in the other 2 tabs you should be seeing the Unselected color.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

dunkers

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 06:56:16 PM »
Is that perhaps the case?

No :)

It's probably best if I post screenies to show. I used the -sc command line switch to start with a new config (as per Rodney's suggestion). I then configured for multiple files per window, opened 2 windows and then configured the colors.

I think the screenies are self-explanatory, but just in case: you can see that the active tab is yellow, selected tab is orange, and unselected is green. When SE has focus the tabs are yellow (active) and orange (selected <- really, that's confusing even though I know what you mean). Then when SE loses focus (in this case by doing the screenie) both tabs go orange (selected).

dunkers

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 06:56:57 PM »
Duh! Hit the pix per post limit. Here's the last one.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »
You need more than 1 tab in a group for Unselected to matter...that is what is going on.  So just open another window and place it within one of those 2 groups you have open.

- Ryan

dunkers

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 07:13:57 PM »
Ah-ha! Yes, that works fine now.

Well, more or less. Now when SE loses focus the active and other tab are orange, but the unselected (i.e. green) tab stays green. With that logic, why couldn't the active tab stay active (i.e. yellow)?

But that's just a quibble. The real problem is getting across what it's supposed to be doing, and I think the terms chosen for the settings don't help that much.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 07:18:54 PM »
With that logic, why couldn't the active tab stay active

The Active color is described as only for the window that has focus.

dunkers

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 09:23:25 PM »
Mmmm. I just wrote a reasonably lengthy piece putting a different viewpoint on it, but ultimately I have to say your argument is more persuasive :)

Thanks for your patience.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 02:59:44 PM »
No problem...whatever we can do to help :).

- Ryan