Author Topic: B7: SlickEdit crashes on Startup loading Source Files from Visual Studio Project  (Read 16881 times)

Slow Learner

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Using a freshly installed 64-bit Beta7 on Windows 7, I opened a new workspace from a Visual Studio .NET solution file that was created using CMake. I opened all the C++ source and header files (249) into the editor and edited approximately 10 of the files and compiled/linked the 64-bit executable from within SlickEdit all day without any problems. I shutdown the editor a few times during the day to save the current state so to speak with all 249 files open. The tab sort order was changed from alphabetic to last-opened and then finally to last-viewed. In all instances when the editor was shutdown and then restarted, the editor started up normally and opened all files that were previously open. However on the last attempted use, SlickEdit started to open the files, ran for four or five seconds, and then terminated with no error indication. This is very repeatable. No pop-up windows appear. No error messages. No log files were readily visible. If the editor is started using a different configuration directory it starts normally. This particular set of source files is normally edited using SlickEdit 2012 without difficulty.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Please try beta 8 and see if you have the same problem. Thanks

skywise

• Hero Points: 10
Just did and do.

I uninstalled B7 and wiped the 18.0.0 workspace directory.  Installed B8 which copied over my 17.0.3 workspace files to 18.0.0 and started up from my last 17.0.3 session.  Everything worked fine, did some editing and had no issues.  Shut down using the upper right close and then restarted and it won't restart.  SE comes up and then promptly shuts down.

Win7 X64.  I'm launching from a powershell command line with a custom environment.

Slow Learner

As suggested, I installed x64 version of beta 8 normally. When I start beta 8 from a command-line prompt, the main window appears, the editor runs for two or three seconds and then disappears from view. These are the exact same symptoms as encountered with beta 7. When I start it from a command-line prompt using a different configuration directory, it starts normally.  I normally run two instances of the editor simultaneously against two different configuration directories and start each instance from a separate command-file (vs1, vs2). In my installation, the SLICKEDITCONFIG environment variable points to the configuration directory used by the vs1 instance so that clicking on the SlickEdit desktop icon is the same as running the vs1 command.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
Quick question.  Did you verify that the first invocation of SlickEdit had indeed completely shut down, or is their a hidden zombie process out there?  Try launching slickedit with +new and see if it still crashes.

Question #2:  Are you using one file per window or multiple files share window?

If that's not it, just to try to get a handle on this, try debugging SlickEdit under Visual Studio.  This might make it possible to catch the error that is causing the immediate exit/crash.

1) Start Visual Studio
2) File > New > Project...     Choose {slickedit}\win\vs.exe
3) Project > Properties...      Set up the command line arguments as they are when you launch slickedit
4) Debug > Start Debugging   [click OK when it complains about no debug information]
5) Watch it crash
6) Debug > Windows > Call Stack
7) Right click, select All, and then Copy, then send the result

If you do not have Visual Studio, you can also do this with windbg which is integrated into SlickEdit

1) Start SlickEdit with a clean configuration   vs +new -sc cleanConfig42
2) Debug > Attach Debugger > WinDBG > Debug Executable
3) Make sure to use +new in the argument list
4) Watch it run and then crash
5) Copy the stack from the Call Stack window

skywise

1> yes - although I didn't confirm vstskmgr was actually gone from the process list.
2> No joy.  Almost immediately after the DLLs get loaded the program shuts down and the callstack window never gets populated anything.  It doesn't appear to be a "crash" per se.

Slow Learner

I ran beta 8 under Visual Studio three times. The first time as you described with the command-line parameters pointing to my 'vs1' configuration directory. The second time was exactly the same as the first except that my user privileges were elevated to administrator in case this was an issue. On the third attempt, the configuration directory was changed to that used by my 'vs2' instance. The third attempt resulted in the editor starting and running under the Visual Studio debugger which proved that the setup was OK. The first and second attempts produced the same results. The editor started briefly with the main window visible and quit. No exceptions were thrown. The editor appears to have exited with a code of one (1). See below.

'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.0 x64 Beta8\win\vs.exe'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.0 x64 Beta8\win\vsapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.0 x64 Beta8\win\vsxmlutl.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\sechost.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.0 x64 Beta8\win\QtGui4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\lpk.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\usp10.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\comdlg32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\shlwapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_fa396087175ac9ac\comctl32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\oleaut32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imm32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msctf.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winmm.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winspool.drv'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.0 x64 Beta8\win\QtCore4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ws2_32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\nsi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.0 x64 Beta8\win\msvcp100.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.0 x64 Beta8\win\msvcr100.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\wininet.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\api-ms-win-downlevel-user32-l1-1-0.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\api-ms-win-downlevel-advapi32-l1-1-0.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\api-ms-win-downlevel-shlwapi-l1-1-0.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\api-ms-win-downlevel-version-l1-1-0.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\version.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\api-ms-win-downlevel-normaliz-l1-1-0.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\normaliz.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\iertutil.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\uxtheme.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\IPHLPAPI.DLL'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winnsi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cryptbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ink\tiptsf.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dwmapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\Wintab32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\Wacom_Tablet.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\clbcatq.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\oleacc.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cryptsp.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rsaenh.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\RpcRtRemote.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\sxs.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.0 x64 Beta8\win\cparse.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.0 x64 Beta8\win\tagsdb.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.0 x64 Beta8\win\winutils.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\mpr.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\netapi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\netutils.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\srvcli.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\wkscli.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\browcli.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.0 x64 Beta8\win\filewatcher.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.0 x64 Beta8\win\vsRTE.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'vs.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\SlickEditV18.0.0 x64 Beta8\win\vsdebug.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
The thread 0x698 has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The thread 0x1abc has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The thread 0x1620 has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The thread 0x1bac has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The program '[6452] vs.exe' has exited with code 1 (0x1).

skywise

The callstack Slow Learner posted is essentially the same that I'm seeing.

I also tried removing the vslick.sta file but have the same behavior.
FYI - vusrdefs.ex, vusrobjs.ex and vusrs18.0.0.12h.ex were updated between start and shutdown after I removed the .sta file.  (if that helps narrow it down)
EDIT: Forgot to add the +new has no affect.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 05:00:59 PM by skywise »

Dennis

Who's willing to send me their complete configuration directory ?

skywise

[meekly raises hand...]

How much do you need?  It's currently ~35mb compressed.

Dennis

It's probably faster to upload all of that than it is to try to figure what we can remove to reproduce the problem.  Are you familiar with the support upload instructions?

skywise

Searched 'em out on the forum - http://support.slickedit.com ?

Do you have a case # to assign it to?

Dennis

Just make it "forum-9286"   I'll find it.

skywise

Uploaded.

Note that vslick.sta_bad was the vslick.sta that was originally made and I changed the extension to hide it to see if that would allow SE to startup.

Slow Learner

See also file slow_learner_20130614_1201.zip uploaded against Case No. Slow_Learner