Author Topic: B8: Mac: Low res default font on retina  (Read 13064 times)

Ed Barnard

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
B8: Mac: Low res default font on retina
« on: June 14, 2013, 04:43:46 PM »
When I use SlickEdit on my Acer flat screen secondary monitor (HDMI to DVI cable), things look great. However when I move the same window to the Macbook Pro Retina screen, the font looks fuzzy. (As in, it looks low resolution, no pixel smoothing.)

Do you have any suggested settings for the code to display better? If so, that might be a good candidate for the release notes/FAQ!

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: B8: Mac: Low res default font on retina
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 05:11:09 PM »
We try to auto-detect the Retina display setting, but it's not 100% reliable, esp when a non-retina monitor is present. (There's no [NSScreen reallyIsRetinaDisplay] API, alas, so we have to guess from [NSScreen backingScaleFactor]).
If you go into the Options under Appearance > Advanced, you can switch the Retina setting to "Always On" instead of "Auto Detect"

Ed Barnard

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 02:00:50 AM »
Matthew, wouldn't I need "auto detect" if I'm spreading SlickEdit across the retina laptop display and the external monitor? Or if I set "always on" it's smart enough to know that an external screen is not retina?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 02:04:13 AM »
If you have any retina display attached, you want it on. Auto detect can get lost when you have multiple monitors with different resolutions. Have you tried "Always on" yet?

Ed Barnard

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 02:10:39 AM »
I rebooted and it picked up the retina resolution. I've now set it to always on. Thank you!

I continue to REALLY like v18, and I've been using SE a few years now, after decades of emacs/xemacs.