Author Topic: SlickEdit 2013 (v18) Now Available  (Read 5251 times)

Jeffrey

• Community Administrator
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 18
SlickEdit 2013 (v18) Now Available
« on: June 19, 2013, 12:54:10 pm »
Our final release of SlickEdit 2013 (v18) is now available for download.

If you purchased maintenance, you can download your complimentary upgrade by logging into your SlickEdit.com account and visiting your Registered Products page.  http://slickedit.com/myproducts

If you're not currently a SlickEdit customer, you can download the final release as a 15-day trial.  http://slickedit.com/trial

The final version is now available for immediate purchase and download in the SlickEdit web store.  https://customer.slickedit.com/store/slickedit

New Features and Enhancements in SlickEdit 2013
  • New MDI Architecture
    • The MDI layout has been completely rewritten to support multiple groups of document tabs
    • Document tabs (and groups of tabs) can be floated as separate top-level windows, allowing better use of multiple monitors
    • Files can be dragged and dropped to move between tab groups or to create new groups
    • Resizing the outer MDI window automatically resizes the document tab edit windows. This ensures you utilize all the available space in the MDI area.
    • The new document tabs offer much better performance than the previous File Tabs tool window, better supporting users who prefer to keep many files open

• Version Control
    • A new Repository Browser dialog displays a summary of a repository's comment log history. Use the Tools > Version Control > Browse Repository... menu to bring up the dialog
    • A new History Diff dialog allows you to quickly see side-by-side historical revision differences. This is supported for Subversion, Perforce, Mercurial, Git, and Backup History. Use the Tools > Version Control > History Diff on... menu.

• Language Support
    • Support for Matlab, CoffeeScript, Markdown, Google Go, and TTCN-3 has been added
    • Tagging and source navigation of CSS is improved
    • Color coding support for the Cg shader language has been added

• Beautifier Enhancements
    • Java and C# are now supported in the new beautifier framework.
    • New options have been added to support beautification for JavaDoc, Doxygen, and XMLDoc comments.

• Project Support and Debugging
    • Updated builds of GDB 7.5 (with Python pretty-printing support) are now distributed under the SlickEdit installation directory
    • Variables now appear in declarative order in the  Debug Autos, Locals, and Members tool windows
    • Setting breakpoints in C++ template classes is now more reliable when debugging with GDB
    • Android Projects now support NDK development and debugging
    • Unity projects with the .unityproj extension can now be opened directly in SlickEdit

• Large File Editing
    • Reading and saving files greater than 2GB is now supported. In theory the maximum limit is 2TB, but available system memory and hard drive speed are now the limiting factors. For substantially better performance, use an SSD.

• General
    • Enhanced special character display: Unicode files now have a separate configuration section to specify how special character sequences are displayed. Multi-character substitutions are supported.
    • Vi/Vim emulation has been re-tooled internally to inherit base functionality from the CUA emulation. The behavior of Vi/Vim-specific key bindings is not affected, but more CUA commands are now available when in Insert Mode
    • Added a new File > Reload with Encoding menu item which enables you to quickly reload an open file with a new encoding.

john.dehelian

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: SlickEdit 2013 (v18) Now Available
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 04:31:16 pm »
I'm going back to V17  :'( . I don't like the new editor scheme. And there are other bugs as well. I was able to edit a file not checked out by perforce several times leading to errors in the compilation in  the main branch when integrated. There are other things I don't like too but don't have time now to list them. Perhaps I will try the next release.

rbmisc

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:53:39 pm »
I have gone back to V17 also because I don't like the new editor format.  I want to be able to have my files open and able to view my files as windows in SlickEdit not separate windows.  I would appreciate if they would go back to what they had in previous versions.

warrents

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 04:14:31 pm »
I have just bought and downloaded SlickEdit.  At installation I get the following message:

"This installation package could not be opened.  Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package"

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 06:25:56 pm »
A quick note -- you will probably get faster service by contacting SE Support.  This is a peer user discussion forum.

I'd first check that the right package was downloaded, and then check that it didn't get corrupted during download (maybe just try downloading it again).  Also in Explorer perhaps use right click + Properties on the downloaded file, and if there's an "Unblock" button click it to unblock the file.

warrents

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 06:29:43 pm »
Thanks.

rburchett

• Junior Community Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 12:30:28 am »
DON'T LIKE IT!!!! Put it back the way it was!!!  Why do people you always have to change things?  If people like new stuff, put it in and tell them how to get it, but leave it the way it was for the rest of us!!!  Now I have to get with coporate and figure out a way back to version 17... What a pain in the behind!!  Grrrrrrrr

Graeme

• Hero Points: 226
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 01:04:37 am »
DON'T LIKE IT!!!! Put it back the way it was!!!  Why do people you always have to change things?  If people like new stuff, put it in and tell them how to get it, but leave it the way it was for the rest of us!!!  Now I have to get with coporate and figure out a way back to version 17... What a pain in the behind!!  Grrrrrrrr

I always trial a new version on my home machine for quite a while before I migrate it to work.  What exactly don't you like about V18?  Maybe with a small amount of effort you could get it to work the way you like.