Author Topic: Can SlickEdit use Araxis Merge for differencing?  (Read 1054 times)

Phileosophos

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Can SlickEdit use Araxis Merge for differencing?
« on: June 25, 2013, 02:32:46 pm »
Is there a simple way to configure SlickEdit to use Araxis Merge (or any tool other than its own built-in diff tool really) when using the feature to diff the current source file against the version control system? I realize, of course, that I could customize the menus, toolbars, write my own macros, and what not, but I'm wondering if there's some simple configuration setting to set up a third-party diff tool. Thanks in advance!

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: Can SlickEdit use Araxis Merge for differencing?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 03:54:56 pm »
No, sorry, we don't have any sort of configuration setting or extension point for setting this up.

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 83
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:21:15 pm »
Actually I use Araxis Merge for differencing with Perforce from inside SlickEdit. I have a feeling this is a "Perforce only" thing, but if you happen to be using Perforce it's easy.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:50:00 pm »
We do have the ability for some of the "text mode only" version control providers to provide an alternative command line. And there is Tim's way of using it when using Perforce via SCC DLLs. If you happen to be using one of those systems, then you could configure any tool you wish. But the majority of the most popular systems (Subversion, Git, and Mercurial) do not have a way of changing the Diff tool used from our history dialogs. Those systems would require rather pervasive macro code changes. We don't have a "one stop shopping" setting for this.

Phileosophos

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 02:57:33 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts all, especially Tim who suggested a way it might work with Perforce (which is what I'm using at my day job). Unfortunately, I simply cannot tolerate the terrible SCC implementation. I'll probably take this as a challenge to solve with an interesting macro. I haven't tried anything this complicated yet, so maybe it's a good opportunity.