Author Topic: SlickEdit plus Subversion  (Read 26277 times)

pvonkaenel

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
Re: SlickEdit plus Subversion
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 05:14:48 PM »
I tried using the Subversion support again, and noticed a couple of things that would be nice to have that I currently have to do from the command line or RapidSVN:

1) Be able to compare two historical versions of files.  As far as I can tell, you can only compare a historically version of the file to the local copy.

2) Revert changes.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 12:27:06 PM »
The Subversion History dialog will allow you to do this.  There is a revert button on the bottom, and a diff menu at the top that will let you diff any two past versions.

pvonkaenel

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2006, 10:13:25 AM »
I have tried it but it doesn't seem to work.  The "Revert" button is always grayed out, and the "Diff .." button will only diff a historical version against the current version.  What am I missing?

Thanks,
Peter

pvonkaenel

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 10:40:13 AM »
OK.  I just found the Diff menu at the top of the history window; much more functionality than the Diff button at the bottom, but Revert is still grayed out.  In-any-case, I think it would be more useful to have Revert at the main menu level instead of on the History window.

Peter

jszakmeister

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 11:06:19 AM »
<snip>
Regarding history, as of the last time I was aware there is no way to track through the branches other than using a "best-guess" algorithm which is horribly inefficient (believe me, I tried).  Based on my timings, I think that this is probably how Tortoise does this, but that is just a guess.  It may works ok on a smaller code base, but on a converted version of our code base it took nearly an hour to get a complete history for a file.  Subversion is supposed to be putting in some better support for this, and when it is available we will support it as soon as possible.

That's only if you want to track whether a file has been modified on different branches.  If you simply want to see the history of that particular instance of the file (versus everything, including files of the same name on other branches), Subversion Does The Right Thing automatically (it traces the life of the file back to it's creation).  Reading other posts, it definitely sounds like the "--stop-on-copy" should be removed from the command line, or at least made into a checkbox.

FWIW, there is development going on now for merge tracking, which will provide a much faster method for asking "What is the entire history of this file on every branch?"  That might be a 1.5 feature.

<snip>

Regarding commits, I have logged a bug for this.  This is obviously one of the items that does not transfer from CVS well.  My biggest concern about fixing this is that there is a limit on the length of a command line, and it varies from OS to OS.  So a very large commit set could fail or have to be split.

You could use --targets <file> and copy the names of all the files into there.  Then you can avoid and cmdline length and environment issues.

-John

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2006, 02:17:27 PM »
OK.  I just found the Diff menu at the top of the history window; much more functionality than the Diff button at the bottom, but Revert is still grayed out.  In-any-case, I think it would be more useful to have Revert at the main menu level instead of on the History window.

Peter

I will consider putting this on the menu.  That is probably a good idea.  Since we did the CVS support first it was more of an afterthought there because there was no "revert" command.  For Subversion, it should be on the main version control  menu.

I just re-tested it, and it certainly seems to be enabled when the local file is modified.

NOTE: I re-re-tested it, and in the version you have this will not work correctly.   A fix I just added is what has this working correctly here.  I am currently considering what is the best way to make this available.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 02:59:23 PM by Dan »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 04:44:18 PM »
Then I was getting all excited about v.11 and was exploring features.  I saw the "commit sets" bit and used that for the first time.  Unfortunately, though you can put a bunch of files into a commit set, slickedit sends them to svn as separate commits instead of as a bunch.  With the focus svn has on all-or-nothing transactions, there's no reason not to run commit on the whole bunch at once.  It looks like _CVSCommand in cvsutil.e was built that way. Now my boss is going to yell at me for sending through a half-dozen files as separate commits instead of bunched into a single rev   :( 

I have just been looking into this.  Actually it will commit them altogether, unless the files have individual comments - if one were big enough to approach the command line limit it will still split them- but I suspect what you saw had to do with the comments.

Now I am trying to figure out how best to deal with this.  I suppose I could disable the individual file comments for Subversion, or warn the user.  I'm open to suggestions though.

jszakmeister

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2006, 09:24:59 AM »
I have just been looking into this.  Actually it will commit them altogether, unless the files have individual comments - if one were big enough to approach the command line limit it will still split them- but I suspect what you saw had to do with the comments.

Now I am trying to figure out how best to deal with this.  I suppose I could disable the individual file comments for Subversion, or warn the user.  I'm open to suggestions though.

Check out the --targets option.  It was invented to avoid command line length limitations. :-)

kgoess

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 05:06:52 PM »
I just installed 11.0.2 and I see you got rid of the --stop-on-copy flag.  Cool, thanks!