Author Topic: COBOL support for copybooks  (Read 7572 times)

Francisco Saúca Blattner

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
COBOL support for copybooks
« on: July 09, 2013, 01:10:05 PM »
I have PROJECT1 with some programs I am working on, and there is another PROJECT2 with a couple of folders for COPY and DB2/DCLGEN elements. These are not regular folders but LINKED to a server where the whole software resides.

I configured PROJECT1 to search for copybooks in the folders of PROJECT2.

Now I open a program. The copybooks cannot be expanded in the Outline view, and when selecting the "Go to definition" option of the context menu, I am asked to provide the location of the copybook.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I have quick access to copybooks?

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: COBOL support for copybooks
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 01:59:46 PM »
Just so I'm clear...the copybooks are in PROJECT2, which is a remote, linked project?  And you are opening a program from PROJECT1 and trying to do "Go to definition" on a copybook symbol, which is defined in PROJECT2?

If your linked project was local, you would just set the copybook search path in SlickEdit to contain the path or paths where your copybooks are located, which is easy to do.  We don't currently have the facility however, to automatically retrieve copybooks from remote locations...so  this isn't going to work for you :(.  I think you are going to have to manually open the copybooks  from the linked project.

We have a few feature requests filed to make our tagging and searching work more seamlessly with linked projects, and I'll add your information here to one of the requests.  Are you using RDz, Compuware Workbench, or any other 3rd party Eclipse-based IDE?

- Ryan

Francisco Saúca Blattner

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 11:13:59 AM »
Hi Ryan,

PROJECT2 is a standard Project, but the folders are linked to a remote location. And the way I am telling PROJECT1 to search there for the copybooks is by using the context menu option "Specify Copybooks/Includes...". This allows me to add these linked folders, but if I have understood you correctly, it will not work.

Yes, I am using Compuware Workbench 3.2.6 on Eclipse 3.6.2.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 01:46:39 PM »
Oh cool, Compuware Workbench.  Then I would get in touch with Compuware about this because I believe they have implemented support for finding copybooks in remote locations...I'm just not familiar enough with their workbench to guide you through it.  That context menu item you are using for 'Specify Copybooks/Includes...' is their customization.

Can't hurt, and it might turn out that this already works.

Thanks,

Ryan
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 02:19:16 PM by Ryan »