Author Topic: Running multiple instances of SlickEdit.  (Read 4509 times)

bloudraak

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Running multiple instances of SlickEdit.
« on: July 22, 2013, 04:49:55 AM »
I'm working on a large .NET codebase. There are 100+ solutions, with hundreds of projects and millions of lines of code. The net result is that I'm always have several instances of Visual Studio open with several solutions, switching between them as needed.

I'd like to do the same with SlickEdit.  The challenge with SlickEdit is that it insists on having a single instance open.  If the previous instances were opened as administrator, then SlickEdit refuses to open another file when I double click on a solution or a file.  If I right click on the file and select "Send To", SlickEdit, the file isn't opened.  In addition, when I open a file without elevated privileges, and then wants to save a file that requires elevated privileges, SlickEdit gives me an error that access is denied.   It would be great if SlickEdit could simply elevate the process at that time so I can save the file.

Either way, it makes SlickEdit less useful. In fact, I often use other editors, such as Sublime text, to open files. 

Werner

wangsitan

• Community Member
Re: Running multiple instances of SlickEdit.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 01:43:04 PM »
Try adding '+new' to the command line of vs.
Like this: "E:\Program Files\SlickEdit\win\vs.exe" +new

bloudraak

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 01:12:34 AM »
Adding +new only works when I double click on the SlickEdit shortcut.  It has no effect when I double click on the solutions or text files. SlickEdit insists on opening the file in the same window.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 01:03:12 PM »
You can set a global environment variable VSLICK to +new, this will be used for all invocations.