Author Topic: "Saving Configuration" Every 3-5 Minutes  (Read 2491 times)

vivitron

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 10
"Saving Configuration" Every 3-5 Minutes
« on: July 24, 2013, 01:52:12 am »
I hope the answer to this is not a profile reset, but every 3-5 minutes SE 18 hangs 100% and the status bar says "Saving Configuration to /home/dlambert/.slickedit/18.0.0/vslick.stu"

This takes about 5-10 seconds, then it continues like normal.  It makes the editor very difficult to use though;  for now I've switched back to 17 which doesn't seem to have the issue.  The vslick.stu file is 7.6mb.

This is a quad core machine, 32gb ram, etc... shouldn't be struggling to write the file to disk...

I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks,
Dustin

Help -> About
Code: [Select]
SlickEdit 2013 (v18.0.0.13 64-bit)

Serial number: VLX928102
Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: /opt/slickedit18/bin/slickedit.lic

Build Date: June 18, 2013
Emulation: CUA

OS Version: Debian GNU/Linux 7.1 (wheezy)
Kernel Level: 3.8.1-pf
Build Version: #1 SMP Sat Mar 23 13:38:23 EDT 2013
Processor Architecture: x86_64

X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
Memory: 4% Load, 975MB/20896MB Virtual
Shell Info: /opt/slickedit18/bin/secsh -i
Screen Size: 1920 x 1080

Project Type: Other
Language: .cs (C#)

Installation Directory: /opt/slickedit18/
Configuration Directory: /home/dlambert/.slickedit/18.0.0/
Spill File: /tmp/$slk.dlambert.10943

vivitron

• Hero Points: 10
Re: "Saving Configuration" Every 3-5 Minutes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 11:11:30 am »
I lied... it's happening under v17 as well.

It specifically happens in C# when I create a select statement.  It seems to be related to syntax expansion and tagging somehow.

Changing the option "Save configuration" to "Always save configuration on exit" from "Save configuration immediately" significantly improves the problem, but I don't understand why typing a line of code would trigger a configuration save?

Let me know if anyone has ideas on how to debug.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 318
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 11:18:03 am »
You could try adding a call to _message_box to the start of save_config.  It might allow you to work out what triggers it as well as abort the save.

_command int save_config(_str save_immediate='') name_info(','VSARG2_EDITORCTL)
{
    result=_message_box("Save config?", '', MB_YESNO|MB_ICONQUESTION);
    if (result != IDYES)
        return;

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 09:17:33 pm »
Please allow me to remind you that this is not the official support vehicle for shipping products, just for pre-release versions.  Please open a Support case with SlickEdit, and it is guaranteed to get a look.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 318
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 11:22:16 pm »
Please allow me to remind you that this is not the official support vehicle for shipping products, just for pre-release versions.  Please open a Support case with SlickEdit, and it is guaranteed to get a look.

I agree it's a good idea to report the problem but if you don't have maintenance and support it might not get looked at, depending on whether it looks like a single-user problem or not.  I disagree with your implication that it shouldn't be reported here because reporting here can help to track the problem down and actually help Slickedit, especially with problems like this that aren't easily reproducible.

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 35
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 03:06:35 pm »
If you don't mind changing your "Save configuration" option back to "Save configuration immediately," I'm interested in debugging this one.

Could you please post a sample line of what you are typing that causes the hang? 

Graeme's suggestion is a good one - to find the save_config command, type "fp save_config" on the SlickEdit command line.  Rather than adding a message box, I would suggest adding a call to _StackDump();, which will print out the trail of macro functions that got us to saving your config.  Then load the macro file (F12 in CUA emulation) and reproduce the hang.

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 04:39:46 pm »
I agree it's a good idea to report the problem but if you don't have maintenance and support it might not get looked at, depending on whether it looks like a single-user problem or not.  I disagree with your implication that it shouldn't be reported here because reporting here can help to track the problem down and actually help Slickedit, especially with problems like this that aren't easily reproducible.
I didn't mean to imply that issues shouldn't be raised here as well.  I think I've posted something here about every single issue for which I've opened a support case(though I wouldn't testify to that under penalty of perjury ... :D).  I just wanted the OP to be aware that a Support Case has guarantees, while this forum does not.  I'm just repeating what the SlickEdit Team has stated previously.