Author Topic: Slickedit assembler langue support  (Read 1499 times)

bremenpl

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
  • Electrical Engineer
Slickedit assembler langue support
« on: July 26, 2013, 09:25:33 am »
Hello there,
I would like to create an assembler project in slickedit using the avrasm2 "compiller". But when I create a new project, there isnt assembler langue listed, also i cannot really add tag files for this project, because i cant choose the assembler langue there either.

Also i dont know where to point the compiller, as that option doesnt exist on project with langue "Other"

Could anyone tell me what is the proper way of creating assembler projects in slickedit?
Any help would be aprichiated.

chrisant

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 131
Re: Slickedit assembler langue support
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 04:23:58 pm »
When creating a project, you don't choose a language.  You just choose a tool set.

Re: choosing a tool set when creating a project --
There are many different assemblers for many different chip sets.  Try choosing "(Other)" and you can tell SlickEdit about this particular assembler (the tool, not the language).

Re: tagging support for assembler languages --
There are many different assembly languages.  Which one, specifically, do you want to use?  Check in SlickEdit's list of languages to find out whether it supports that one.  You can find the list via the menu command Document|Select Mode..., or via the list in the Tools|Options dialog under the Languages node in the treeview.

Hope that helps!

bremenpl

• Community Member
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 04:25:47 pm »
The point is i dont know how to tell slick edit to use the linker app (AVR assembler).

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 353
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 05:28:29 pm »
Do you have a batch file or makefile you use to compile and link your code? Once you have that, you need to create a project (select "None") and set the build command for you project to that command line. Then, when you build in SlickEdit it will run the build you typically use. At the moment, there isn't an automated build for assembly files where SlickEdit can automatically determine dependencies (include files) and build/link your files. You need to have your own build command which SlickEdit runs. I suggest using a make program.

bremenpl

• Community Member
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 05:51:26 pm »
All i got is avrasm2.exe which is used to create hex files from assembly code in atmel studio. So basically i have to write a script for building the code with a makefile?

Also, is then debbuging possible?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 353
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 05:58:00 pm »
Yes, you need to create your own way to build. A make program is the probably the most common (there are other tools) and support dependencies but there are others too. I don't think the assembly code your building supports windbg format so you can't use a built-in SlickEdit debugger. If you have a tool that debugs, you can set the debug tool for the project in SlickEdit to run it.

bremenpl

• Community Member
  • Electrical Engineer
Odp: Slickedit assembler langue support
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 09:40:08 pm »
I see.
Thank you for help.

Bremenpl